Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I hear/see people talk about having a false bottom in their mash tun.

But I came across this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

All he uses is a stainless steel braid.

Is there any real advantage to using a false bottom? If I use a false bottom will I need to still use the braid?

Also, why do people seem to get two coolers? Will one not work?

I really want to go all grain, but I'm still confused about the process.

If you use the braid you do not need a false bottom.
People get 2 coolers because you mash in one and use the other for your sparge water.

here is an example I found real fast, there are 100s out there:
Once you learn the all-grain process this will all seem obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

So it seems like using the braid is the easiest/cheapest route.

Are there any advantages to the false bottom over the braid?

If I'm brewing five gallon batches do I need a ten gallon cooler or a 5 gallon cooler?

Get the 10 gallon. The 5 gallon would not be sufficient room for your water and grains. Generally you need 7+ gallons of water for a five gallon batch as your grains will soak up quite a bit of water and you will boil off about a gallon during your boil.

The braid works great. We made ours from items from Lowes/Home Depot. We now have a Stout Mash Tun with a false bottom and that works great as well. The false bottom is easier to clean. When we used the braid, we removed it and boiled for at least 30 minutes. If you do not do that, it can get crud stuck in it. One problem we had is that the braid would be flattened over time. I got some SS springs from Mc Master Carr and that solved that problem. After cleaning out the braid, I would not use a manifold, unless I could remove it and clean it after every use. We actually have 3 igloo coolers, 2 ten gallon and a single 5 gallon. They all leak a little. I have worked on the leaks and they stop then come back after a while. I now use them to bank hot water as we brew 16 gallon batches. The coolers hold temp very well. If you go that route, do pre warm them.

This was my solution... Took me about half an hour to bend the tube and cut the slots with a Dremel cutting wheel. I'm getting consistent 80% yields, I think a finer crush could bump that up a bit.

MashTunInt.jpg

Back