Hello from Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin

Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing, and I am learning a lot by reading posts on this site. Thank you!

I currently have my first beer fermenting in my closet. It's an APA kit from a local homebrew shop. I'm really interested in brewing all-grain, and am very temped to try a lager (using the stove-top AG method) while the temperature in my garage is right. I know that's ambitious, but what's the worst that could happen? :)

I'm very new to brewing, and I am learning a lot by reading posts on this site. Thank you!

I currently have my first beer fermenting in my closet. It's an APA kit from a local homebrew shop. I'm really interested in brewing all-grain, and am very temped to try a lager (using the stove-top AG method) while the temperature in my garage is right. I know that's ambitious, but what's the worst that could happen? :)

Skunky beer? Do you have the equipment to hold a lager to the desired temp?
If so, no big deal. I advise going with a Bavarian or Czech Pils. They really are crisp and full of flavor.

a closet fermenter?..........we still welcome you with open arms- Jeff

Welcome! With the bizarre weather we've had this winter, I imagine it would be pretty tough to lager properly by just sticking your beer in the garage. It's 20 one day and 55 the next, then back down to 30, and so on.

Skunky beer? Do you have the equipment to hold a lager to the desired temp?
If so, no big deal. I advise going with a Bavarian or Czech Pils. They really are crisp and full of flavor.

I have a garage with a heater, so I figured we'd be able to keep it at 50 degrees pretty easily. However, I've since decided to brew another ale and hold off on the lager until we get a beer fridge. Obviously, my husband is open to that idea. :)

Back