JAOM with blueberries instead of an orange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a traditional JOAM going right now and am fairly new to mead making but I will throw my 2c in. One thing about a proper JOAM is that it needs no additional nutrients like DAP, fermaid K or yeast energizer. When changing the ingredients you need to think about that. If you google "nutritional data for orange raw" and then for blue berries raw. You find that a whole unpeeled orange has many more amino acids and nutrients per serving in comparison. To give your yeast the best chance of having all required nutrients I would say you would weigh out an orange in grams and multiply that weight by let's say 1.25 just as a nice round number and put that weight worth of blueberries in your must. Just in case blue berries are completly missing some amino acids rather than just having less of the same kind as oranges. It would be good to use a couple of other berries. Make the division of berries 60% blueberry 20% berry X and 20% berry Y if you want a predominately blueberry flavor. These are all untested #s and can all be under some scrutiny but that is my 2c on the subject.

Having done some blueberry wines I wouldn't worry too much about the nutritional value of blueberries. Joam also recommends a handful of raisins (a handful in the Joam world equates to about 25), this would also help with nutrients for the yeast.

I've got 5 gallons of this going right now. I took the JAOM recipe and removed the oranges, cinnamon, and clove. I added 10lbs of frozen blueberries and two vanilla beans (sliced open and scraped, everything into the carboy). Everything else I kept the same.

It's bubbling along nicely next to the 5 gallons of JAOM and 5 gallons of Joes Quick Grape I made in the same evening. :cross:

Though I did have an emergency early on: the blueberries floated to the top of the mixture and I guess the CO2 being released kept pushing them up and up until they were almost touching the airlock. So I had to drain off maybe a quart of liquid to bring the blueberries down. They never creeped back up again. I suspect right now the blueberries are probably taking up a gallon or more of the space in the carboy, so I'm not going to get anywhere near 5 gallons out of that carboy.

Latest posts

Back