What I learned this morning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
I learned that 5 gallons of RIS still needs a blow off tube even in a 6.5 gallon carboy.
I woke up to foam on my ceiling! I quickly put on a blow off tube and cleaned the walls. On the bright side the beer smells good and is nice and thick. This should be a good one.
Thought that would be a funny story to start the day! Slante!

I saw a similar thread on here a couple months back where the guy actually caught on video his RIS blowing through his airlock. It's gotta be something about the thickness of RIS that makes it more likely to create this kind of a mess...

A RIS is just a huge beer, right? I mean it's ABV is quite high style-wise I believe. I've yet to make one myself.

Yeah. Its just a big beer and this being my 3rd beer, I am learning new things each time. I do remember reading about that danger in my high gravity reading. I just forgot about it.

The thickness of it made it extra sticky. I can't wait for it to be ready and its only day 1!

Sorry for your explosion, but I will use your experience to get on my soapbox.

ALWAYS use a blow off tube. There is absolutely, positively, no reason not to. You can always switch to a regular airlock after the krauzen has fallen. Blow offs occur with all styles and gravities of beer. My biggest as far as intensity and duration was a 1.04 Cream Ale.

Cheers! Pez.

ALWAYS use a blow off tube. There is absolutely, positively, no reason not to. You can always switch to a regular airlock after the krauzen has fallen. Blow offs occur with all styles and gravities of beer. My biggest as far as intensity and duration was a 1.04 Cream Ale.

+1. Always use a blow-off tube. If that becomes your normal routine, it is no more difficult to set up than an airlock, and sure saves the occasional big mess.

I store my tube in a bucket of sanitizer, and just pull it out when needed.

Back