Rickards Red Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Well, after lasts years dismall experience with extract brewing, I am back with all grain equipment in hopes or reviving my faith in homebrew. For my first brew I am looking to make something along the lines of a Rickard's Red Clone, I have talked to a person who use to brew and he came up with the following, please keep in mind this will be my first AG so there is some extra grain to account for lower efficiency:

8 lbs- 2-Row
.75 lbs- Crystal (60 L)
1 lb-Munich
2 oz.-Roasted Barley
.5 lb-Cara Pils

1 oz- East Kent Goldings(60 minutes)
.5 oz- East Kent Goldings (10 minutes)

Does this sound about right to anyone? Any recommended changes?

Thanks

Wup

Well, the LHBS didn't have Munich, they recommended Victory instead and me being a newb took it. Reading the description for it on the net and tasting a bit, it is clear that it is a bit to "nutty" for this style. So should I just forget about the munich? What would bumping the crystal to 1 lb do?

Sorry for all the questions.

Wup

The victory will definitely add a nutty or biscuity flavour - so ya I don't think you want it for a Rickards Red clone. Some munich would definitely be nice for the malty flavour but if you can't get it, you can't get it. :) Upping the crystal to 2lbs will give you some more caramel flavour to help get some of that back but it won't be quite the same.

You could go for just a standard red ale with something very similar:

10lbs 2-row
2lbs Crystal 60
2oz roasted barley

At 65% efficiency on a 19L (5G) batch promash says you'll get about 18SRM with that. The hop schedule you have will put you on the low end of the range for the style but should work well. The ale yeast you got for Rickards should work well for it too.

I've never cloned Rickards so take all that with a grain of salt. Your recipe as posted looks great too but as you mentioned, I would definitely up the crystal if you can't get any munich. It's not the same flavour but you will definitely want more of something. :)

You'll get a great beer regardless so I wouldn't sweat the details on trying to get an exact clone, just enjoy it for what it is - your own recipe. :mug:

If you can't get munich try to get vienna. They're fairly similar. But don't brew this with 2 pounds of crystal 60. That's way too much. It will definately not allow the beer to attenuate enough. I can't recommend you use that much crystal at all.

If you want to be authentic about it, steep some specialty grains for a bit of colour and malty/caramel flavour, and then add it to Molson Canadian! :)

I just bought some Rickard's for the first time in years on the weekend (so that I could get some Rickard's White -- the Canadian version of Blue Moon). I hadn't realized how much it still tastes like Canadian. I guess it is hard to hide, no matter how much flavouring they add.

Well I just brewed the following for my 2nd batch:

10 lbs- 2 Row
1 lb- Crystal (60 L)
2 oz.-Roasted Barley
.5 lb-Cara Pils

1 oz- East Kent Goldings(60 minutes)
.4 oz- East Kent Goldings (2 minutes)

I upped the 2 row as I got extremely bad efficiency on my first AG(<50%), this time of course I get much more at 72% efficiency, but I ended up with about 5.5 gallons so things balanced out.

wup

Just curious as to the color? Did you get the red you were after?
I home malt my grains and find the a roast at 350 for 10-15mins of Pale Malt gives a red hue to the beer but not red like we know Rickards to be. I don't know if the 2row will yield the same color.

hi guys
i would like to brew rickars red if i can and i cant understand terminalogy nor abriviations
being used in this forum .

can some body tell me in simple terms what items i need . as well as tools .

I have an unusual relationship with Rickar's Red. For me it acts like an Aphrodisiac. Anybody else have this reaction to it? And do other red beers have the same reaction. I am an older man and anything that works . . .

Back