Bottle filling rate and oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd4

Reaction score
Does the rate at which I fill a bottle from my bottling bucket matter with respect to oxygen introduction? Should I try to fill them as slowly as possible or can I just fully depress the spring valve and not worry?

I don't know if it makes a difference but, I start slow until the spray tip is submerged and then push down fully.

Press and dont worry, the beer will push all oxygen out and the slight pull back will be filled quickly with co2 during the conditioning process protecting the beer.

The point of filling from the bottom, is that you are pushing the co2 that is in solution up along with the beer as it is filling the bottles. In a sense you are voiding the chamber with co2. Like dienster said, if you are keeping the tip submerged, and the spigot is at the bottom of the fluid, then there should be no oxygen being introduced.

Back