New to growing hops, wanting to do it in pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm a graduate student, gonna be here at least another 4 growing seasons but not sure I'll be at the same house. As you can see I live in Utah. I'm wondering if any variety of hops grow best in a large pot, facilitating moving season to season?

The key is big pots as a mature hop plant can run 15-20' tall and all of that is annual growth. Cascade will grow just about anywhere.

i went for the quick and easy route... 30 gallon bucket bins $9, organic top soil from Lowes...$1.30 per 40# bag. it does not have any other seeds that might germinate (which might be the case from some manure) and i can treat with fertilizer as i see fit. I really don't think it matters too terribly much just remember to put a layer of mulch on top to help keep some moisture in the dirt. whatever you choose, it sounds like watering is the most important element followed closely by sunlight.

I grow cascade in ~12 gallon pots. First year no problems, though I expect them to get pretty rootbound in the next few seasons.

Back