Now that it's cold outside...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Cuda383

Reaction score
I've been thinking of lagering.

trying to understand it fully. you do the lagering before bottling, right? down to around 40 degrees?

Explain to me about the yeast... I thought when the yeast got cold, they went "dormant" which is why fermentation temps need to stay in the low to mid 60 degree range... what 'wakes up' the yeast when its time to bottle so that they consume the priming sugar and create carbonation?

80F today. What is this "cold" thing.

Anyhoo, lagers use lager yeast. They are fermented cold (i.e., 50F) for 2-3 weeks, bottled/kegged, and then stored for a while (weeks to months) at any temp, but cold would be best for clearing. If you are bottling, store at conditioning temps (i.e., 70F) for at least 3 weeks before letting them get colder - you'll get your carbonation that way.

Lager yeasts work well at low temps, and produce a clean ester-less beer. Ales don't do well at cold temps, and make a estery beer.

80F today. What is this "cold" thing.

Anyhoo, lagers use lager yeast. They are fermented cold (i.e., 50F) for 2-3 weeks, bottled/kegged, and then stored for a while (weeks to months) at any temp, but cold would be best for clearing. If you are bottling, store at conditioning temps (i.e., 70F) for at least 3 weeks before letting them get colder - you'll get your carbonation that way.

Lager yeasts work well at low temps, and produce a clean ester-less beer. Ales don't do well at cold temps, and make a estery beer.

a-ha, so it's more a function of the yeast combined with the temps, ferment lager yeasts cold (50s) then bottle condition and let store at cold temps after carbonation has built up.

makes more sense then!

so, I can lager in my basement, in an un-heated room then! no need to head to the garage where the temps are REALLY cold!

oh, and 80 for you? try about 20 degrees for me! and nope, that's NOT in celcius! although I wish it was!

When I lager I ferment at 54F then after fermentation is done and FG is reached I rack to a secondary then lower temps about 2F per day until I hit 34F. Another way I read about was fermenting around 50-54F then just dropping it immediately to the mid to low 30s.

Back