Accidentally doubled priming sugar for Graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spektrum21

Reaction score
I just bottled 2.5 gallons of Brandon O's Graff recipe. I forgot I was bottling a 2.5 gallon batch and made a priming solution with 4oz. of corn sugar, which is enough sugar to bottle a 5 gallon batch.

It has only been two days since bottling, but I am worried I may end up with bottle bombs. I know I can pasteurize the bottles to stop the carbonation, but how soon should I do this? Or am I okay with the bottles as they are, understanding that I will end up with super carbonated Graff?

Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you didn't use champagne bottles, I'd worry about bottle bombs at that level of carbonation.

I am using regular beer bottles I collected. I calculated 3.65 volume of CO2 based on the amount of sugar I used and my batch size. I was thinking of pasteurizing to stop the carbonation, but does anyone know how quickly the bottles will carbonate? I am guessing after a week in the bottle they will be plenty carbed since it usually takes two weeks and I used double the sugar.

I'd open a bottle a day till you get the right amount of carbonation.

With that amount of priming sugar you are really pushing the limits. I always put them in a big cooler if I think bottle bombs are likley. It saves you from a huge clean up if they blow. lol

After some further research, I think I will be opening up all the bottles, pouring them into my primary fermenter and let the sugar ferment out completely. Then, reprime and rebottle. I think with that approach there should be no worrying about bottle bombs.

like one user said, open one bottle a day and wait until you acquire a proper level of carbonation. Once you achieve that, throw the bottles in the refrigerator (in a closed pot in case any do go off) and that will put the yeast back to sleep. Your beer may be sweet but atleast you still have it.

Back