4 oz Of Priming Sugar - I Need 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you not have ANY other sugar in the house? You can use cane sugar (in it's various packages), table sugar (in a pinch) provided it's the right type, or even honey (go with 1.25oz there though to make up the missing ounce)...

Also, have you determined that you NEED 5oz of priming sugar?? Use this site to determine how much you actually NEED to use for the CO2 volumes you want. You could be fine with 4oz...

In John Palmer's book he states most ales and lagers use about 4oz of priming sugar for 5 gallon batches. What's the beer? 4oz of priming sugar dissolved into 2 cups of water is perfectly fine.

Also, I literally just bottled 5 gallons like 5 minutes ago...Glad to see the brewing spirit is alive tonight! :)

Golddiggie said:
Do you not have ANY other sugar in the house? You can use cane sugar (in it's various packages), table sugar (in a pinch) provided it's the right type, or even honey (go with 1.25oz there though to make up the missing ounce)...

Also, have you determined that you NEED 5oz of priming sugar?? Use this site to determine how much you actually NEED to use for the CO2 volumes you want. You could be fine with 4oz...

Thanks for the link! I have been struggling with getting carbonation just right.

No problem... It was very useful to me, when I was carbonating with sugar (in bottles)... Now that I'm kegging, I use this chart to set my psi to get the CO2 volumes I want. With temperature sensors inside the brew fridge, as well as thermometer stips on the kegs, I have a solid idea of the temp of the brew. Then I just set the psi to get me in the range I want and go from there.

Back