Amazon wants me to go electric...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Their suggestive marketing is scary. I think they have Kal's parts list. I just received an email that recommends:
- Greenlee1-1/4" knockout punch
- Camco 02963 5500W 240V element
- Greenlee step bit
- Leviton locking plugs
- Leviton locking receptacles
- faucet to hose adapter

I clicked on See More and all my recommendations were from Kals parts list. Lol...

I was looking at Camco elements the other day and a bunch of other "Kal parts" were showing up as "you may also be interested in...." and "customer who bought/looked at this also bough/looked at...."

So I'm sure their system has detected a pattern over the years

I use my wife's amazon account when I order stuff. All the suggestions she gets are gun parts and beer paraphernalia :)

All of Kal's links on his site are affiliate links, so they basically do have his parts list.

They have their eye on you, me & everyone else.
It's the trendy, new marketing technique...
"Keep tabs on everyone, to point them at the things they want"

We are all slaves to Amazon. I must go to the website and see what I supposed to buy today. :)

Seriously, I had a 44 qt. Bayou Classic pot on my wish list for weeks but I just didn't want to spend $114.00 at the time. Last Monday it was listed for $99.00 free shipping. Guess what? I have a new brewing pot. They know how to bet me. :mug:

You know you have done due diligence researching wiring code when National Electrical Code book ads start showing up when you're browsing HBT.

That 1-1/4" conduit punch will result in a 1-7/8" hole. I think I used a 1" greenlee.

Maybe its a plot and Kal own's Amazon!
If that was the case my home brewery would look like this:

TOB-Copper-Vats-Closeup1.jpg

(Though at second glance, I don't think their control panel is spiffy looking enough...) ;)

Amazon's just looking at what people tend to buy together like others have mentioned. So if you buy a Camco element (for example) it'll show you other things that people also bought. Yes, a lot of them are the things I recommend through my site hence the reason they'd all grouped together.

Kal

I have enough problems going through the batch sizes I brew now, I can only imagine how long it would take me to go through a brew done on something at that scale. Plus, I wouldn't fit in my basement while the other one almost could! :)

Though I suppose if I did what Ken Grossman did at Sierra Nevada, I could have the kettles come up through floor into the living room & dining room so that you'd see them through the front windows, with the chimney's going up through the kids bedrooms on the second floor. Hmmm... That would be pretty cool! The kids would love it but I'm not sure the wife would agree... ;)

Kal

I could have the kettles come up through floor into the living room & dining room so that you'd see them through the front windows, with the chimney's going up through the kids bedrooms on the second floor. Hmmm... That would be pretty cool! The kids would love it but I'm not sure the wife would agree... ;)

Then there's the problem of wanting to go to bed and your friends not wanting to leave until the wee hours of the morning, every night. That would certainly cause a strain on the marriage.

Then there's the problem of wanting to go to bed and your friends not wanting to leave until the wee hours of the morning, every night. That would certainly cause a strain on the marriage.
I think that's a problem that most homebrewers are already facing daily...

Kal

Lucky_Chicken said:
This is my problem... apparently when you brew your own beer everyone thinks its free.

The best way to fix this is just don't have friends!!! When people find out I make beer and have six plus types on tap at all times, people come outweigh of the wood work!

I don't have an issue with it myself. Costs about 12-18 cents/beer for me to make it. Even with a few friends over drinking as much as they want, it's still cheaper than me going out somewhere and having two pints myself. Those two pints I buy will pay for the grain/hops/yeast to produce 10 gallons of beer. Of course, I enjoy the making the beer so my labour cost is zero. It's not about saving money. I actually like when people drink it up as it lets me make more and try new recipes.

Kal

At any one time I have 700-1000 bucks of commercial beer on tap. I have a little 'beer money' clay jar on the bar that I occasionally fine 20-40 bucks in :)

I was going to replace some of it with my beer once I get my brewery finished but I'll probably find some way to just add more taps instead. When we have gathering I typically just ask those coming to provide the food.

Back