Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > brew in a bag question- Sparging?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
bmud0314
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am a BIAB-sparger here and get ~78% efficiency. I have a 10 gallon pot, and a 7.5 gallon pot that came with the burner at a garage sale. You can even use a big pot and cooler combination to do this.

...that being said...

You CAN no sparge BIAB. That is the traditional BIAB, just have a slightly lower efficiency. I am non-conforming the non conformists by sparging.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Would really like to try this. May be a baby step into AG.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
chetduggan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 to all above. I'd just add, make sure you get a good crush on your grains. My LHBS does a double crush for me that works out great.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I started brewing BIAB-style for my last 4 batches and it's worked out really well. I have a 15 gal kettle and do full volume no sparge brews. I couldnt find a large enough colander to allow for draining the bag so I bought a new grill grate for a weber kettle grill. I rest this on top of the kettle and put the bag on top to drain. I've been getting 70% efficiency using this setup and I haven't been squeezing the bag much.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmud0314
I am a BIAB-sparger here and get ~78% efficiency. I have a 10 gallon pot, and a 7.5 gallon pot that came with the burner at a garage sale. You can even use a big pot and cooler combination to do this.

...that being said...

You CAN no sparge BIAB. That is the traditional BIAB, just have a slightly lower efficiency. I am non-conforming the non conformists by sparging.
+1

When I used an 8 gallon turkey fryer, I dunk sparged in a 5 gallon pot and got great efficiency (90%+ with my own mill). Since I upgraded to a 15 gallon pot, I eliminated the sparge for simplicity. With my new pot I use 8.25 gallons of water for a 5.5 gallon batch (wide pot boils off 2 gallons an hour!), and get around 85-90% efficiency. This is close enough for me due to the reduction of another step, but my overall efficiency is definitely lower.
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman6234
I started brewing BIAB-style for my last 4 batches and it's worked out really well. I have a 15 gal kettle and do full volume no sparge brews. I couldnt find a large enough colander to allow for draining the bag so I bought a new grill grate for a weber kettle grill. I rest this on top of the kettle and put the bag on top to drain. I've been getting 70% efficiency using this setup and I haven't been squeezing the bag much.
I do the same thing, but I press the bag with a pie pan inside of the steam basket from my old turkey fryer sitting on top of the grill.
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do a modified version of BIAB. I use a 5 gallon jug style cooler lined with a bag as a mash ton and just use a "normal" mash thickness of 1.25-1.5 qt/lb. After the mash is over, I lift the bag up, slip a colander on the cooler and plop the bag of grain into the colander and let it drain for 10 minutes. Then, I plop the grain bag into the boil kettle that has my 170 degree "sparge" water, and I let that sit for 5-10 minutes or so. Then I repeat the colander draining in the colander. I usually get 80% efficiency with this method, and that's without squeezing the bag.

The disadvantage with the BIAB/cooler is obviously that you have to buy and store another piece of equipment, but an advantage is that you're not limited to a single infusion mash like you would be with the full volume method.

The 5 gallon cooler maxes out at 12 pounds of grain at 1.25qts, so for high gravity beers I'll usually just make a smaller batch or supplement with a few pounds of extract.