So does 1g of milk only produce 1 lb of cheese??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not expecting miracles, but I had thought 8lbs of milk could produce more than 1lb of cheese. SWMBO wants to try cheese making and asked what is the benefit of making our own. Can anyone comment?

I'm not expecting miracles, but I had thought 8lbs of milk could produce more than 1lb of cheese. SWMBO wants to try cheese making and asked what is the benefit of making our own. Can anyone comment?

Yep, that's about right. With a soft cheese, I might get 1.25 pounds but for almost all cheeses, 1 pound is about right.

Once I make the cheese, I bring the whey to a near boil, cool it and strain those minute curds. That makes ricotta. In the left over whey from a pound of cheese, you might get a tiny sour cream sized amount of ricotta also.

SWMBO wants to try cheese making and asked what is the benefit of making our own.

the satisfaction of enjoying the fruits of your labor? BTW you have to remember cheese is the solids from the milk. It's like taking the powder and sugar out of a pitcher of koolaid.

Latest posts

Back