Pos. Stuck Fermentaion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophead78

Reaction score
Hello. All.

I'm new to home brewing and I brewed up a Scottish Ale on sat, and the fermentation took off like wildfire but after about 36 hrs. it seems it just stopped. Not sure if airlock activity is a good way to judge or if I should just take a gravity reading. Thanks.

Hello. All.

I'm new to home brewing and I brewed up a Scottish Ale on sat, and the fermentation took off like wildfire but after about 36 hrs. it seems it just stopped. Not sure if airlock activity is a good way to judge or if I should just take a gravity reading. Thanks.

That's generally what happens- fermentation goes fast for the first day or two, and then slows down as it finishes up and yeast are still scrounging around for fermentables to eat. After they consume the fermentable sugars, they actually go back and digest their own waste products , like diacetyl. So even if no signs of activity are present, there is still plenty going on in there!

Wait about a week or two, and check the SG. Check it again before you want to package the beer, and if it's the same then you know it's done!

Back