Non-Denominational Winter-Related Holiday Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale US-05 (dry)
Yeast Starter
rehydration only
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Deep Brown (approx 22 SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 68F
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
spices balance well with wheat body and Goldings hops
This is my first attempt at posting a recipe, I will adjust as needed. I've only been doing AG for about six months...this batch was partial mash because I wanted to try a modified "brew in a bag" for the first time and was unsure of my efficiency (ended up w about 75%). Recipe was made with Brewsmith software. This is my first original recipe that I love so much I want to share it.

Grain Bill (I ground approx 25% finer than normal since I was doing brew in a bag):
5.25 lbs pale 2-row
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 80L
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Chocolate Malt

Extract/Adjuncts:
3 lb Dry Dark Malt Extract
3 lb Dry Bavarian Wheat Malt Extract

Hops (all East Kent Goldings pellets @ 5.9%)
1.5 oz bittering boiled 60 min
1.25 oz flavoring boiled 15 min
0.5 oz aroma boiled 5 min

Other (all spices :
1 cinnamon stick boiled 5 minutes
.75 oz Sweet Orange Peel boiled 5 minutes
0.5 oz fresh Ginger Root boiled 15 minutes
a dash of Nutmeg boiled 5 minutes

Yeast:
Safale US-05 dry packet, rehydrated for 2 hrs, no starter

Method:

Note: I bought a four dollar poly/nylon sheer curtain from W-Mart for "brew in a bag" and it worked perfectly. It was also very easy to clean.

1) Prep 7 gallons of water. I boil mine and let it cool to remove free chlorine.
2) Heat 2 gallons of that water to 174F and put your grain bag in the pot with all grains inside. Pull edges of bag over lip of pot to allow stirring, but keep bag away from direct flames. Stir well to evenly wet grains.
3) Apply heat as needed to establish 158F mash temp as measure in center of grain bag. I used a remote bbq thermometer for this and kept lid on brewpot to conserve heat. Excellent results.
4) Hold 158F mash for 45 min or until iodine test indicates conversion. I wrapped my SS pot in a packing blanket during mash and did not have to add heat (dropped to 153F in 45 min).
5) Mash out for 10 minutes at 168F.
6) When mash out is complete, rinse grains with remaining 5 gal water heated to 168F. Brew in a bag was easiest sparge I have done. (NOTE: This is where I deviated from pure "brew in a bag". While my mash was festering in my old "extract brewing" pot, I heat the sparge water in my larger AG boil pot. This was necessary because my brew pot is 8 gallons and would not fit 7 gallons of water plus the grain. If you have a 10 gallon pot you could do pure brew in a bag here).
6) Add water as needed for pre-boil volume of 6 gallons. Heat to boiling.
7) The boil:

60 min: All extracts and bittering hops
15 min: add ginger root, flavoring hops, and 1 tsp Irish Moss
5 min: add aroma hops, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel.

I cooled mine with a wort chiller then poured to primary through a kitchen strainer, which removed a significant amount of the hop goo. Pitched one packet of rehydrated Dry US-05 yeast at 65F and stirred. OG 1.0082.

Extremely active fermentation next morning, almost complete in five days @ 68F. Racked to secondary on fifth day, Gravity 1.0020, excellent flavor.

7 days later kegged with 1/3 cup corn sugar. Beer is well balanced..have to remind myself it's almost 8% ABV.

Please enjoy and provide feedback!

in a deviation from normal practice I did not measure....I eyeballed it. If I were to estimate I'd say a half ounce. I had only brewed with spices once before when I did a pumpkin porter for Halloween. Already having cinnamon, orange, and ginger I did not want to make mouthwash.

I also failed to mention I keg conditioned this beer for almost 5 weeks before serving it. This is my first "big beer" so I'm learning (or trying to) as I go.:drunk:

Back