Newbie, help apreciated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginBrewer

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new at this! I have 2 large fermenting bins and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, can i use hops with the bins or do I need additional equipment? I would prefer to make a nice pilsner or wheat beer instead of using coopers!

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Your question is a ittle misleading. Are you asking if you can dry hop in your fermenting bins? Or are you asking if you can brew a batch using hop pellets/plugs/cones instead of hopped extract like Coopers? Either way the answer is yes but we need more info on what exactly you are asking.

I have only used coopers before and wasn't sure if there was a way of using hops with the bins or would I need any other equipment in order to use hops?

Hops are used primarily two ways -
1) in the boil kettle:
** a) long boil - (60 min) - for bitterness
** b) shorter boil times - increasing aroma and flavor, less for bitterness
** c) flame out - no bitterness imparted, all for flavor, aroma
2) post fermentation, as a flavoring/aroma agent (dry-hopping)

You are free to pursue any recipe you want. Look in the recipe section for pilsners and wheats. You do not have to use Coopers, you can purchase liquid or dry malt extract, or whole malted grains....

read John Palmer's How To Brew here.
This is an older version, but free online. It will get you to understand the basics.

welcome to brewing and HBT!

Well, you can do whatever you want...

I would buy ingredients to make a beer from whatever place you get supplies from and brew it. No need to buy a Coopers kit if you can get the individual ingredients themselves. You can find recipes all over the place, and lots of online stores have them as well. Check out Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, etc.

As far as hops go, Hang Glider hits it on the head with using hops either in the boil, or after primary fermentation as a dry hop. In the secondary. Boiling will release the necessary bitterness and flavor and aroma, while dry hops will greatly increase the aroma, while hardly affecting bitterness.

But you will need malt of some kind to actually make the beer.

Thanks for all the information, will definitely get some hops and get brewing!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

I think I get what's going on. Your kits have always come with PRE-HOPPED extract.

You won't get that normally, so you have to buy some hops in addition to the extract and add them in during the boil, according to a schedule (1 ounce for 60 minutes, then .5 ounce for 10 minutes, etc.) The precise schedule will vary for each style/recipe.

Thanks homercidal, I will definitely do that! I want to start using hops, I think it will be very satisfying drinking a nice beer that I brewed from scratch!

Back