Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Who leaves the lid loose on the fermenter

Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
squirrelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

A few commercial breweries do exactly what you are talking about and ferment in an open vessel until the end of high krausen. They believe as long as C02 is escaping nothing can contaminate the beer. It is also believed that due to the active yeast volume and alcohol being created no rogue organisms can survive.

As true as this may be, I personally choose not to practice this method. Everything I do as far as brewing is done in a clean room and only closed fermentations and closed transfers take place.

I am very paranoid about an infected batch of beer, and so this has become my practice.

By the way when I say "infected" I am not referring to an awful unsinkable beer, but rather anything whether it be a faint odd smell or the slightest off flavor. Those two symptoms as well as what's often times referred to as a "house flavor" will usually result in a judge knocking down the score of one's beer due to an off flavor or infection.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
mikebowman
Recipes 

On this note, I'd imagine oxidation would become a concern if one were to leave the lid loose for extended periods of time. Anyone how long that would take? Weeks? Months?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
Mookie
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply's from all. I did not think that I was the first Einstein to do this, but I had to check.

My future will probably involve getting a larger fermentation bucket, but for now I will do this. I really liked the idea of using plexiglass for a cover. I have easy access to a ton of that and it would be cool to watch the first day or so, then put the lid on with an airlock. I really kinda miss the days that I used to use a carboy and watch the action inside, but a bucked is so much easier to handle and clean.

Thanks to all,

Mookie

Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
Right Brain uses plastic wrap to cover the fermentors? How weird. Then again, most of what they do is "weird" by most folk's standards! ;-)
Not Right Brain....North Peaks evidently.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 538

When I worked at Bell's (then known as Kalamazoo Brewing CO.) in '89-'90 or so, the tanks were what I would refer to as "semi-open"... basically, they had loose fitting, hinged lids. They had small vents, about 5" around that would allow the CO2 to escape, the vent hole would have a loose sheet of Saran wrap over it. We would open the lid to top crop the yeast for pitching into the the yeast propagation tanks, which would hold 1bbl. They were covered with Saran wrap. Worked like a champ.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #16
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 843 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman View Post
On this note, I'd imagine oxidation would become a concern if one were to leave the lid loose for extended periods of time. Anyone how long that would take? Weeks? Months?
I'd worry about it once fermentation has ceased, but not during. As a few people have said, CO2 outflow will keep anything from getting in, including O2.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy

I'd worry about it once fermentation has ceased, but not during. As a few people have said, CO2 outflow will keep anything from getting in, including O2.
Yeah, that was my thinking too. Probably be fine until active fermentation stops, and allows the O2 to diffuse in. Probably a week or two at least

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With some yeast strains, it is purportedly beneficial to leave the lid open, like with ringwood. Apparently it performs better this way (?due to lowered pressures?). I've only used ringwood once and did so with the top loose. I got good results but I can't comment on how much of a difference it made.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One concern is that, if your beer isn't cooled to room temperature when you put it in the fermenter, the process of cooling will result in unsanitary air from outside the fermenter being sucked in. I'd personally want to avoid that; maybe buy a larger fermenter, or make less beer in each batch. . .
Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
One concern is that, if your beer isn't cooled to room temperature when you put it in the fermenter, the process of cooling will result in unsanitary air from outside the fermenter being sucked in. I'd personally want to avoid that; maybe buy a larger fermenter, or make less beer in each batch. . .
More than likely if that were truly the case, as it cools it would more than likely form a tighter bond with the bucket...just like suckback from an airlock or a vacuum forming in canning as it cools, or doing no0chill brewing in an aquatainer. . Things don't expand when they cool, they contract, you would actually have a safer lid/bucket connection if that were the case.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew