buying first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
Any advantages or disadvantages when comparing a pin lock vs ball lock keg?

Pin locks are shorter and fatter-- this could be good or bad depending on your setup.

Pin lock kegs seem to be less popular and therefore are cheaper everywhere right now.

Ball lock kegs have a pressure relief valve you can pull. Pin locks you have to use a button to push the poppet in.

Those are the main differences I'm aware of. Both should be fine as long as they fit for you.

Other than what has been mentioned, it is my understanding that both work just fine. There is the size difference already mentioned but also the keg coupler on the Pin Locks is taller so while the keg is shorter the overall tapped height is about the same and you are stuck with the bigger footprint with the pinlock. May or may not be an issue depending on your fridge. That is why I think the ball lock is in more demand which in turn increases the price.

The big thing is that whatever you go with, you want to stick with it. It is a pain to have to switch between pin lock and ball lock couplers all the time. Though a pin lock keg can be converted to a ball lock coupler to keep that uniform. I guess that would mean that you could go the other way as well. I am new to this as well so don't quote me on that last conversion bit.

Back