Blonde ale gone dark...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miggedymike

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My intention was to brew a 5 gal blonde ale and I used 2-row and Caramel 20 for my grains. It turned out a lot darker than I had anticipated, I probably measured the caramel incorrectly or something.

Anyway, I continued with my plan and used (1 oz 60m) Fuggles for bittering and pitched WLP001 (cal ale). I was after US-05, but they didn't have any.

Anyway, since it turned out darker and was bittered with the 1 addition, I am wondering what I can do with it.

The color seems consistent with category 10B, American Amber, but it will certainly not match the flavor profile laid out in the category notes...mainly the hop characteristics.

What can I do to save this and enter it in that category? Given that I have bittered with the fuggles, can I dry hop with an American citrus based hop to save it? I do plan on entering it eventually so I want to get as close to I can, IF I can.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Back