American Pale Ale Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale (#1056)
Yeast Starter
Yes (4 days)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.8SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 64 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 64 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Crash cooled in keg
I named it Nierra Sevada because it is essentially an SNPA clone recipe that I tried to explain to some friends and after a few pints of one of my other homebrews, "nierra sevada" was as close as I could get to pronouncing it.
Sierra Nevada Clone Recipe, SNPA Clone
This is a scaled down ABV version (My First 10-gallon batch) and will yield a nice session APA that is between 4.0-4.5%. I'll post results and pics when we have the final product.

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
SNPA_Clone_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 37.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes
Total Grain Weight: 17lbs

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.30%] (70 min)
2.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (5 min)
American Yeast (I used Wyeast #1056)
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

SNPA_Clone_HopsRatio.jpg

Tasting Notes: This turned out absolutely fantasic. I hit 4.7% and the taste is slightly less malty than the orignal but the essence of grapefruit is just perfect. I've served it to several non-homebrew friends who do like to try different beers and they agree that it is a fantastic beer. Not a dead-on clone because of the lower malt level, but extremely close. The color is dead on and the bitterness just right. I did a 10-gallon batch . One five gallon keg has only been on the gas for 9 days and already near perfect carb level. The second fiver is sitting in a keg in the basement conditioning naturally (1/2 cup priming sugar). This is a definite brew-over.

BierMuncher said:
I named it Nierra Sevada because it is essentially an SNPA clone recipe that I tried to explain to some friends and after a few pints of one of my other homebrews, "nierra sevada" was as close as I could get to pronouncing it.

This is a scaled down ABV version (My First 10-gallon batch) and will yield a nice session APA that is between 4.0-4.5%. I'll post results and pics when we have the final product.

View attachment 1501

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

Tasting Notes: This turned out absolutely fantasic. I hit 4.7% and the taste is slightly less malty than the orignal but the essence of grapefruit is just perfect. I've served it to several non-homebrew friends who do like to try different beers and they agree that it is a fantastic beer. Not a dead-on clone because of the lower malt level, but extremely close. The color is dead on and the bitterness just right. I did a 10-gallon batch . One five gallon keg has only been on the gas for 9 days and already near perfect carb level. The second fiver is sitting in a keg in the basement conditioning naturally (1/2 cup priming sugar). This is a definite brew-over.

Assuming I only have the capacity for 5 gallons, I just halve the recipe above?

sacks13 said:
Assuming I only have the capacity for 5 gallons, I just halve the recipe above?
According to my BeerSmith conversion...yes, half the grain bill and then for hops:

1 Oz Pearl - 60 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 15 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 10 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 5 minutes

Should get you 31.2 IBU's

tgrier said:
HEY BM

Could you use the dry yeast Yeast Safale US-56
or 05 with this ?
Safale-05, properly hydrated, will work very well.

If you're looking to get a bit more malty profile, use the Safale-04. It will attenuate a bit less and push up the malt flavor a bit.

AAANNNNNDDDD Done..

:D I brewed this up this morning and can't WAIT to get it on gas....I'm actually really surprised it took me this long to do a SNPA clone :confused: Thanks for the recipe BM! I'll post again when its done

AAANNNNNDDDD Done..

:D I brewed this up this morning and can't WAIT to get it on gas....I'm actually really surprised it took me this long to do a SNPA clone :confused: Thanks for the recipe BM! I'll post again when its done

Cool. One thing you might think about is dry hopping with some cascade...if you really like a smack of hop aroma.

Just finished....
I had to substitute 1.2oz Goldings for Pearle. Added 0.2 oz Columbus to each Cascade addition also, which brought my IBUs up to 47.5. Looking forward to trying this one. I'll repost when I do.

Sierra Nevada Clone Recipe, SNPA Clone

View attachment 1501

Ingredients:
------------
Amount

View attachment 1877

you say the other keg is in the basement conditioning naturally, do you just rack the beer in the keg put in priming sugar and close it? and let it carb like bottles? or do you have to hit it with some co2 to seat the lid or something, the reason i am asking is bc i only have one gas hook up and one dispenser but i have two kegs

you say the other keg is in the basement conditioning naturally, do you just rack the beer in the keg put in priming sugar and close it? and let it carb like bottles? or do you have to hit it with some co2 to seat the lid or something, the reason i am asking is bc i only have one gas hook up and one dispenser but i have two kegs

You got it. Prime it (1/2 cup of corn sugar). Hit it with 20PSI and bleed the oxygen out of the corny a few times, disconnect and let it sit at around 70 degrees for 3-4 weeks...just like bottles.

cool glad to know that, anyways i just ordered your nierra sevada recipe, i have the swmbo slayer ingredients in the fridge gonna brew that this weekend, I cant wait

one more thing that you might know, i ordered some isinglass, too bc i saw something about it in byo in the latest issue if i used insinglass on the beer that i naturally carb will it still have yeast to carb it? and too do i need to secondary the nierra sevada

cool glad to know that, anyways i just ordered your nierra sevada recipe, i have the swmbo slayer ingredients in the fridge gonna brew that this weekend, I cant wait

one more thing that you might know, i ordered some isinglass, too bc i saw something about it in byo in the latest issue if i used insinglass on the beer that i naturally carb will it still have yeast to carb it? and too do i need to secondary the nierra sevada

A secondary is a personal choice. I like to use a secondary...but only after the beer has had plenty of time 2-3 weeks in the secondary. The secondary will be beneficial since your bottle priming as well...to further help clarify the beer.

Isinglass is fine to clarify your beer and will not harm the yeast. Even beer that appears perfectly clear in a carboy will still have ample yeast to convert your priming sugar into CO2 and carbonate your bottles. Just be patient.

Safale-05, properly hydrated, will work very well.

If you're looking to get a bit more malty profile, use the Safale-04. It will attenuate a bit less and push up the malt flavor a bit.

I am about to brew this up again tommorow using the safale 05, i usually hydrate but this one says on the pack just sprinkle. I am usually running wide open with the mash and boil and dont usually have the spare time to run inside and sanitize, boil, cool and hydrate yeast. so i thought about sprinkling. and also iwas gonna dry hop this time with some whole cascades i have never dry hopped with whole hops how much do you think i should use.
thanks

I am about to brew this up again tommorow using the safale 05, i usually hydrate but this one says on the pack just sprinkle. I am usually running wide open with the mash and boil and dont usually have the spare time to run inside and sanitize, boil, cool and hydrate yeast. so i thought about sprinkling. and also iwas gonna dry hop this time with some whole cascades i have never dry hopped with whole hops how much do you think i should use.
thanks

I would dry hop a 5-gallon batch with 1 ounce of cascade. If you feel a little daring, dry hop with 1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Amarillo and Centennial.

Well i finished up yesterday i only ended up with 3 to 3.5 gallons in the fermentor and i used 7.25 gallons of water total i just don't know where it went i have never had that happen to me before. Oh well. i well i am mashing in the centinniual blond right now

just got this in the keg 3 days ago. I dont understand why i don't get that bite from the cascade hops. It has been like that for the last 2 pale ales that i have brewed. When i taste it while racking to the keg i can taste the hops, but it seems like when it sits for a couple of days in the keg and gets cold i really cant taste the hops that much anymore. Not like i should for a pale ale. I dont know what has happened maybe next time ill just double the hops or something.

just got this in the keg 3 days ago. I dont understand why i don't get that bite from the cascade hops. It has been like that for the last 2 pale ales that i have brewed. When i taste it while racking to the keg i can taste the hops, but it seems like when it sits for a couple of days in the keg and gets cold i really cant taste the hops that much anymore. Not like i should for a pale ale. I dont know what has happened maybe next time ill just double the hops or something.

Try taking an ounce of cascade and dry hop the keg.

Use a 1-gallon paint strainer along with a zip tie and fasten the bag to the bottom of your dip tube. (You'll have to dismantle the keg a bit).

Give it a good 4-5 day soak and then enjoy. I will usually leave my dry hop sack in the keg for the duration...if I know the keg will last less than a month.

Try taking an ounce of cascade and dry hop the keg.

Use a 1-gallon paint strainer along with a zip tie and fasten the bag to the bottom of your dip tube. (You'll have to dismantle the keg a bit).

Give it a good 4-5 day soak and then enjoy. I will usually leave my dry hop sack in the keg for the duration...if I know the keg will last less than a month.

Cool, i will do that, but all that i have is .5 ounce of cascade pellets on hand i will have to order some. i was thinking about just ordering that ball from nb so i could just toss it in.

I attempted to convert this to Extract and scale down to a 5.5 final volume with a 3 gallon boil and this is what Beersmith came up with (amounts adjusted slightly for more sane values):

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 8.89 %
4.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.56 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
1.75 oz Pearle [6.30 %] (70 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
1.75 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

The profile looked pretty spot-on to what BierMuncher posted for the AG recipe, except the color was very dark (something like 9.7SRM) of course, extract being dark like that. I tried tinkering with it and subbing in some Extra Pale LME from Austin Home Brew to tone the color down and came up with this (exactly the same except subbing 6 pounds of the Pale for Extra Pale). All the specs are pretty spot on, but what will it do to the taste? Austin Homebrew's "Extra Pale LME" is the Briess Pilsen malt.

Ingredients

6.00 lb Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 53.33 %
1.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 8.89 %

Anyone have any thoughts?

Did 1/2 c. sugar work well for you?

I brewed a 3 gal. batch of this 2 weeks ago. Just took racked it to the secondary and had a little taste--DELICIOUS! I'm gonna dry hop w/ a 1/2 oz. cascades too. But I thought it was already pretty bubbly with carbonation and was wondering if 1/2 c. of sugar made it too carbonated for you?

Did 1/2 c. sugar work well for you?

I brewed a 3 gal. batch of this 2 weeks ago. Just took racked it to the secondary and had a little taste--DELICIOUS! I'm gonna dry hop w/ a 1/2 oz. cascades too. But I thought it was already pretty bubbly with carbonation and was wondering if 1/2 c. of sugar made it too carbonated for you?

That "carbonation" you see now is all escaping as the fermentation completes. Only once the beer is under pressure does the CO2 get absorbed into the beer and carbonate it.

1/2 cup for a 3 gallon batch should be fine. Just make sure your beer is completely fermented out first to avoid over carbing.

Now to put you on the spot BM. I noticed you brewed EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Which do you like more? [You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. :)] Can you contrast the two beers at all though?

brewed this recipe as a 5 gal batch 3/13/09. As the man said, color, flavor, bitterness is dead on awesome!

thanks for another great recipe!

Now to put you on the spot BM. I noticed you brewed EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Which do you like more? [You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. :)] Can you contrast the two beers at all though?

As I recall, I brewed a lighter version of Ed's. Which one was better depends on what you were in the mood for. Ed's leaned toward the maltier version and this was a bit more dry and decidedly west coast bittery.

brewed this recipe as a 5 gal batch 3/13/09. As the man said, color, flavor, bitterness is dead on awesome!

thanks for another great recipe!

I can smell it from here.

View attachment 1501

Ingredients:
------------
Amount

This looks great. I'd really like to brew it as my first partial mash for a 5G batch. Can someone with some software or knowledge help convert the recipe?

Hey there, long time lurker, new to posting! :)

Just wondering, I gave this a shot a few days ago, probably my third AG. Just wondering if you can help me out here?

I brewed up a 5 gallon batch, I used

8.8 pounds of the light, instead of the 7.5 the crystal and cara I used the same.
.5 pounds each.

I tried to hit 5.5 gallons post boil volume (to account for deadspace / trub in the brew pot) but ended up with probably 6 - 6.2 gallons in the pot. I couldnt get the brew to the boil like I expected it to, and as such did not evap as much as I thought. A few questions, my OG was only 1.041... is this a problem? also, I mashed at exactly the medium body range but when I went to mash out, only raised it to a full body mash temp, where it sat 10 minutes.... doh!

whats your thoughts? P.S, sample tasted awesome, a really nice bitter hit to the lips, then mellows out (this was pure wort) and its bubbling away really nice with safale us-05, and smells awesome. Cannot wait to try none the less!

...whats your thoughts? P.S, sample tasted awesome, a really nice bitter hit to the lips, then mellows out (this was pure wort) and its bubbling away really nice with safale us-05, and smells awesome. Cannot wait to try none the less!
I think it will turn out great.

The lower gravity just means you can drink more. With a lighter OG, it may need to sit a bit longer for the higher IBU's to mellow some, but this is a hoppy beer by design.

The step mash temp shouldn't be a concern. Your conversion was complete.

:mug:

Great. Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) this is a bit off topic, but did i go horribly bad on my efficiency, considering the higher og you got with less malt? Would like to work this out then give this recipe another crack. :)

Made this on May 3rd. No perle at LHBS so I hopped like:

.75 11.1% Chinook 60
1.0 4.8% Cascade 15
.5 4.8% Cascade 10
.5 4.8% Cascade 5

3 weeks in primary, straigth to bottle. Pipeline is low so I tried one at 6 days in bottle...outstanding.

Ok, I'd like to do this, but I only have Cascade and Centennial hops on hand. Do you think they would go well with this recipe? I was thinking about doing a 1/2 batch. I have 1.5 oz Centennial and most of a pound of Cascade. LHBS is too far away to think about going there and brewing tonight.

Ok, I'd like to do this, but I only have Cascade and Centennial hops on hand. Do you think they would go well with this recipe? I was thinking about doing a 1/2 batch. I have 1.5 oz Centennial and most of a pound of Cascade. LHBS is too far away to think about going there and brewing tonight.

Absolutely. :rockin:

I attempted to convert this to Extract and scale down to a 5.5 final volume with a 3 gallon boil and this is what Beersmith came up with (amounts adjusted slightly for more sane values):

Ingredients

7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 8.89 %

The profile looked pretty spot-on to what BierMuncher posted for the AG recipe, except the color was very dark (something like 9.7SRM) of course, extract being dark like that. I tried tinkering with it and subbing in some Extra Pale LME from Austin Home Brew to tone the color down and came up with this (exactly the same except subbing 6 pounds of the Pale for Extra Pale). All the specs are pretty spot on, but what will it do to the taste? Austin Homebrew's "Extra Pale LME" is the Briess Pilsen malt.

Ingredients

6.00 lb Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 53.33 %
1.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 8.89 %

Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably a dumb noob question but why is there so much more (8 times more) Cara-Pils grain in the extract version than in the AG version ?

Probably a dumb noob question but why is there so much more (8 times more) Cara-Pils grain in the extract version than in the AG version ?

it's not a dumb noob question..... it is actually being very observant. the carapils is utilized mostly for head retention in ales... I think 4 lbs is a gigantic mistake. For a 5 - 5.5 gallon batch, you want max 1/2 pound carapils and I would also do a minimum 1/2 pound of the caramel 60 to enhance color and flavor... the original 10 gallon recipe states it lacks a malty flavor..... you might add 1 pound of munich or vienna to the extract version to balance it out and give more maltiness... that would give you 2 pounds of grains to steep or mini-mash...If steeping, I would divide the crushed grain into two grain bags to double the exposure to water and osmotic action to the grains... Sierra Nevada is known for its perle bittering hops and cascade-like aroma/flavoring. A good substitute for me as a hop head (but maybe not for you) would be to save your cascades you planned to use in dryhopping, for future flavoring/aroma recipes, and replace it in the pale ale clones with an ounce of columbus (formerly tomahawk, and off-the scale 14.4 AAU's) or any other hop you enjoy sticking your nose into, in the secondary as your dryhop..... yummy!!... It's your beer, make it smell as good as you want... good catch on the 4 pounds of carapils... hope this helps... Beersmith always gives problems when converting recipes due to a wide variety of inherent inputting problems.... cheers!

This recipe is very good. I made this beer recently and will definitely be making it again.

Thanks for the recipe

Back