Priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
Hey all,

It's been a while, but I'm finally ready to bottle my saison. Only problem is, how much table sugar should I use? The kit recommends 5/8 cup in 16 oz. of water, but a priming calc recommended 3 oz. of sugar. Here is some other info that might come in handy when answering...

Fermentation temp: 85 F.
Bottling approx. 4 gallons of beer.
Racked off of primary yeast cake, so the fermentation took almost a month to finish.
Yeast used: Wyeast Belgian Saison
FG: 1013... Been the same for two weeks now.

Any help would be delightful. Thanks!

what calculator are you using?
Are you going to keep the bottlers at 85*f?

If so, I would use 4 oz table sugar for a 5 gal batch that is kept at 85*F

Well a cup of table sugar is around 7oz. So 5/8 is a little over 4oz. There is a range in CO2 volumes for the style and the residual CO2 dissolved in the beer post fermentation has an impact on how much to add. 3oz will put you in the middle of the range for the style... maybe your kit makes some different assumptions.

3-3.5 oz should be fine to give you something in the low 2 volumes of CO2 for 4 gallons @ 85F. 5/8 cup will put you up around 2.8 volumes... maybe a bit too bubbly.

maybe a bit too bubbly.

BJCP Guidelines

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, often having a smoothness and light creaminess from unmalted wheat and the occasional oats. Despite body and creaminess, finishes dry and often a bit tart. Effervescent character from high carbonation. Refreshing, from carbonation, light acidity, and lack of bitterness in finish. No harshness or astringency from orange pith. Should not be overly dry and thin, nor should it be thick and heavy.

Back