Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hmm, Oktoberfest quick fermentation, time to bottle?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Improv241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hmm, Oktoberfest quick fermentation, time to bottle?

So it looks like my oktoberfest finished fermenting after 3 days. So a question to the masses:

I was skeptical that it had finished so quickly (only 3rd brew) so I let it set for another week.

Now it's on 1.5 weeks in the primary.

If I take the the FG and it's done, should I go ahead and bottle? Or do I need to let it sit longer?

I'm don't mind moving into a secondary, but I question whether its necessary because everything is already settled... I know there is a long standing debate on whether or not secondary is even worth it (as for me, this is for consumption, not competitions - and i'm not concerned about clarity).

TIA!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

If you hadn't taken a gravity reading, then how did you ascertain that your beer was finished in three days. I hope you didn't go by airlock bubbling stopping as a clue. Because it isn't.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Improv241
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haven't taken the FG yet. This is a hypothetical question - if my FG says I'm done, should I go ahead and bottle?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv241 View Post
haven't taken the FG yet. This is a hypothetical question - if my FG says I'm done, should I go ahead and bottle?
Is this an Ale or a Lager?
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

even if you've hit your FG, you still have acetaldehyde that the yeast need to clean up. You did a good thing in waiting.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Always look for a stable FG over 2-3 days to make sure it's done. Regardless of how long that takes. Then give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more before priming & bottling.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Improv241
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great, a quick update. I moved it over into the secondary anyways. Figured with this style that clearing is a little more important and i don't want it sitting in the old yeast.

My FG was 1.008 when the recipe called for 1.010, so looks like the yeast just went really fast...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv241 View Post
.... i don't want it sitting in the old yeast.
Read this.

These days, most of us WANT our beer sitting on old yeast. It makes our beer clearer and taste better.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew