Going all grain, need input (alot help actually) on recipe please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Going all grain finally and my goal is for a left hand stranger clone or some kinda hop ale. I have the beersmith trial but kinda confused in the whole process. Doing a 5 gallon batch, heres some of the grains and hops i kinda figured out but have no idea how much and times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malts: 2-row, rye malt, Munich,
Hops: Centennial, Willamette, Cascade
IBU's: 36

I got the ingrediants of left hands website, hopefully someone can help me out.

I've only had Stranger once, so I can't really be a huge help, but from what I remember tasting I would put something together like this:

8 lb 2-row
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb Rye

0.75 oz Centennial - 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette - 15 min
1.00 oz Cascade - 1 min
1.00 oz Cascade - Dry hop

I do remember it being pretty malty and having a pretty big nose of Cascade with the spicyness from Willamette in the finish, so that's why I came up with what I did. It could probably do with taking down the Crystal a hair and maybe bumping up the Munich (not sure on the Rye, never used it in a recipe yet), but it's really hard to tell without having the beer on hand.

I've only had Stranger once, so I can't really be a huge help, but from what I remember tasting I would put something together like this:

8 lb 2-row
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb Rye

0.75 oz Centennial - 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette - 15 min
1.00 oz Cascade - 1 min
1.00 oz Cascade - Dry hop

I do remember it being pretty malty and having a pretty big nose of Cascade with the spicyness from Willamette in the finish, so that's why I came up with what I did. It could probably do with taking down the Crystal a hair and maybe bumping up the Munich (not sure on the Rye, never used it in a recipe yet), but it's really hard to tell without having the beer on hand.

Thanks my friend, will get the grain bill this friday. Thanks alot for the help, really appreciate it. If it turns out will send ya few;)

not sure how noticeable 1/2 lb of rye malt will be or how present it is in the beer

may be worth emailing the brewery to see if they will give you any feedback or more of a starting point

as far as beer smith generally start with a target gravity in mind and add 2 row to get you close to that OG - i'd say 70% is prob a safe efficiency to start with dep on your AG method, but probably good idea to keep some DME on hand in case you get lower efficiency

Back