Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > FYI: Puterbaugh Farms

Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default FYI: Puterbaugh Farms

Just thought I'd give everyone the heads-up on a great way to keep your base hops around, for not a lot of money. I used to just buy hops as I needed them, which always had a way of leaving me in the lurch. But I found great prices on bulk hops at hopsdirect (Puterbaugh Farms). A few months back---probably towards the end of last year---I ordered a pound each of Cascade, EKG and NB. With shipping, the total was under $30. I foodsaved them, and keep them in my lagerator. They're all great multi-purpose bittering/flavor/aroma hops, and I think I might have gone through maybe half of them in the several months since ordering. I mean, we're talking about less than $7 for 16oz of cascade. Try to get a pound from AHS, and you're paying nearly $20. Even at Freshops, a pound of cascade costs $12 before shipping.

So, yeah, just wanted to let anyone who had heard about Puterbaugh know about them. Of course, the drawback is that you gotta order a pound or more, so it may not be great for specialty hops that you only use once in awhile. But for versatile varieties like Northern Brewer, Goldings, Cascade, Willamette, etc., it's a great deal.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
jager
Recipes 

these guys are great, one of the few that carry bullion.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Willsellout

Recipes 

The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that when you order 1 pound, they send you two I ordered a pound of Cascade from them and I received 1 lb 15 oz. It's cool though, I use a ton of cascades for dry hopping and with the foodsaver they last forever in the freezer. I have been meaning to grab some northern brewer from them but there isn't room in my freezer for more hops.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein