2nd Batch Recommendation / 1st Batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigs

Reaction score
A few friends and I embarked on brewing our first batch. Used a Americas Best IPA kit. All went well. Did not get an initial hydrometer reading. But that was ok. Followed everything else to a T. Tasted at bottling and it was good. Bottled in 22oz bottles and are waiting 4 weeks.

Couple concerns.

1. Added sugar/boil to bottling bucket as instructed, complete forgot to do 1 minute stir. Siphoned from fermented into bottling bucket, so it was moving around, but very concerned that we did not stir - should we be?

2. We are trying to decide on second batch. Was considering finding a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone to try - but cannot find much. Figured we should stay with kits for a couple batches - does that make sense? Recommendations?

Can't wait for first batch - already hooked and buying equipment for batches 2 and 3.

You should be fine not stirring. The swirling action of racking is usually enough to get a good mix. I usually stir to ensure a good mix but for my first few batches I did not and they were fine.

You might want to stick with ales at first. Lagers take more temp control and need to ferment much cooler. Read up a lot on fermentation temps. Controlling them is a big key to getting good results.

There is a tonof good info on this forum. Spend some time reading as much as you can.

Enjoy the new hobby/addiction.

Beergolf - thanks for the assurance , advice, and quick response. We were hoping the racking caused enough stirring to produce a good mix.

Thanks for pointing out temps. Something will have to read into and watch moving forward. First batch was stored in corner of cool/dark basement. We'll stick to another kit - just need to figure out some good ones!

A cool dark basement can be good for ales but will not be cold enough for lagers.

Definitely make sure you ferment at the proper temps. Fermenting too high can cause a lot of off flavors.

Check out e websites for the yeast you are using and they will give you the prefered temps for each yeast.

congrats on the first batch. Good luck with next brew. I'm on my 7th batch now. Although I'm still doing extract brews, I'm still having as much fun as the first. Such a great hobby. The SWMBO is even helping brew. She doesn't even drink beer

Tasted first batch last night. Had good carbination. Was in fermentor for about 2 weeks. Bottles for close to 4. Initial taste is good. Has a strong bitter finish and is very dry tasting. Comments were it leaves a dry taste in the back of throat. Will aging mellow this out, or is this basically what this kit comes out like?

Second batch in fermenter. Went with dfh 60 minute clone from yooper recipe. OG 1.068 just took sample at 7 days down to 1.014. Going to let sit for another 5-7 days then dry hop for a week.

Back