Converting A Recipe To All Grain - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Converting A Recipe To All Grain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Skarekrough
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Massachusetts, Massachusetts
Posts: 315
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts



Hey all...

The jump to AG has been a fantastic experience. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything by taking the plunge.

Well, except for one recipe that I used to make. I'm hoping a kind soul can take a minute and convert it to AG for me. It's one of my faves and I'm getting low on my supply!

2 Cans LME
1# Light DME
.5# English Crystal Malt
.5# Carapalis (Dextrine) malt grain
.25# Chocolate Malt Grain
1# Belgian Candy Sugar, Dark
1 oz. Styrian Golding hop pellets
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Thanks for the help!
__________________
Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
HopsJunkie
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Hobe Sound, Florida
Posts: 281
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Gonna need to know the lbs on those 2 cans of LME, first.
__________________
Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME. - Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


I am going to assume that a "can" of LME is 3.3 lbs and that your all grain efficiency is 75%.

These two items are the only things that need to be replaced:
2 Cans LME
1# Light DME

And you would swap in 11 lbs of 2-row instead. So, new recipe:

11# 2-row
.5# English Crystal Malt
.5# Carapalis (Dextrine) malt grain
.25# Chocolate Malt Grain
1# Belgian Candy Sugar, Dark
1 oz. Styrian Golding hop pellets
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,617
Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
Hey all...

The jump to AG has been a fantastic experience. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything by taking the plunge.

Well, except for one recipe that I used to make. I'm hoping a kind soul can take a minute and convert it to AG for me. It's one of my faves and I'm getting low on my supply!

2 Cans LME
1# Light DME
.5# English Crystal Malt
.5# Carapalis (Dextrine) malt grain
.25# Chocolate Malt Grain
1# Belgian Candy Sugar, Dark
1 oz. Styrian Golding hop pellets
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Thanks for the help!
Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers, IMO you will get better results if you start at the beginning rather than try to make a copy of a copy. However, for simplicity's sake what you will need to do is calculate how much pale malt you need with your system's efficiency to equal the OG of the LME and DME listed. Then just use the same specialty malts and hops to complete the recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers
I think this is a false assumption. When I started making my own recipes, they were extract based , but they were not attempts to replicate an AG brew or attempts to clone commercial brews.

I had to go through the same process as the OP when I switched to AG and convert all of my recipes.

There are a lot of extract brewers out there with a lot of recipes that they created.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,617
Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I think this is a false assumption. When I started making my own recipes, they were extract based , but they were not attempts to replicate an AG brew or attempts to clone commercial brews.

I had to go through the same process as the OP when I switched to AG and convert all of my recipes.

There are a lot of extract brewers out there with a lot of recipes that they created.

Perhaps, but I still think that the best results for the beer will be obtain by formulating an all-grain recipe from scratch. For an original extract recipe substituting the appropriate amount of grain for the malt extract or using a recipe calculator to hit the beer's OG and color is a better way, IMO. YMMV.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Skarekrough
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Massachusetts, Massachusetts
Posts: 315
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers, IMO you will get better results if you start at the beginning rather than try to make a copy of a copy.
Actually the recipe is not a clone of anything. It's from an extract kit the LHBS has in stock. I've asked several employees as well as the owner what it's a clone of and all have stated that it was a recipe they developed in house and is not based on any existing beer.
__________________
Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,617
Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
Actually the recipe is not a clone of anything. It's from an extract kit the LHBS has in stock. I've asked several employees as well as the owner what it's a clone of and all have stated that it was a recipe they developed in house and is not based on any existing beer.
If your LHBS developed the recipe they should have no problem putting together an all-grain version for you.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help converting extract recipe to all-grain oregonhophead All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 05-15-2011 05:32 PM
Help converting this extract recipe to all-grain. kedash All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-09-2011 11:13 PM
Converting Extract Recipe to Grain coldrice All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 09-11-2009 04:17 PM
Converting Recipe to all grain? Joey Ramone All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 08-16-2009 11:48 PM
Converting to an all grain set-up Mr. Awesome All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 07-01-2008 02:46 AM


Forum Jump