Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Type Question

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
SteveHoward
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottle Type Question

Another of my noob questions:

Has anybody reused a screw-top beer bottle? If so, is it more difficult to cap? Is it something I should avoid? or not be afraid of?

I'm exploring the idea of cider and/or ale when my carboys are empty. I'm at the stage of planning where I need to look for bottles. I'd just like the benefit of someone else's experience on this.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A wing type capper will not work on screw top bottles.

You need a bench capper.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
AdvGroo
Recipes 

Get bottles that need a bottle cap remover to open. Do not buy import beers because they have a different lip. Go to the store and look at a Corona bottle vs a Pyramid ale bottle. the thick necked ones fit the capper's. I buy 22's as this is less work then capping 12's and I am never, ever going to dink 1 beer.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post

You need a bench capper.
Huh. I did not know that a bench capper would cap screw-type bottles. WHY DID I THROW AWAY ALL OF THOSE SCREW-TYPE BOTTLES? WHY, LORD? WHY?

Now I am sad. Fortunately, I have been drinking, so I'm not as sad as I could be.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
AdvGroo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Huh. I did not know that a bench capper would cap screw-type bottles. WHY DID I THROW AWAY ALL OF THOSE SCREW-TYPE BOTTLES? WHY, LORD? WHY?

Now I am sad. Fortunately, I have been drinking, so I'm not as sad as I could be.
now you just have to modify your drinking habits. funny how when I found this out I made sure any beer I purchased had the correct bottle to recycle.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGroo View Post
Get bottles that need a bottle cap remover to open. Do not buy import beers because they have a different lip. Go to the store and look at a Corona bottle vs a Pyramid ale bottle. the thick necked ones fit the capper's. I buy 22's as this is less work then capping 12's and I am never, ever going to dink 1 beer.
Ah, but do you drink that 22 fast enough so it doesn't get warm? I like the 12s as the second is as cold as the first. I'm not a fast drinker.
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes

You need a bench capper.
I used a wing type capper to help a friend bottle his batch. It technically still WORKS, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you compare both types of bottles, you'll notice that the lip on a pry-off is right at the top and is pretty much the thickest part of the bottle, whereas on a screw-top, a narrow lip sits just below the cap, and the threaded glass above it is actually extremely thin.

So the problem we ran into was that about 6 bottles out of 50 or so just ended up breaking at the top as we tried to cap. And the possibility of broken glass (and to a lesser extent, increased oxidation) meant we didn't just dump it into another bottle or anything - so we had to deal with broken glass AND we lost a six-pack of precious beer!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
neut2004
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to emjay's comment. You won't get a good seal, and you'll probably have glass to clean up. Import bottles should work just fine. I've never heard of anyone having issues with them until this thread.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
malweth
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I think it's only some imports that have a problem.

Avoid Amstel Light - my BIL drinks this almost exclusively. The labels are impossible to remove and I've heard they don't seal well when capped (though I haven't tried).

Another family favorite is Shocktop (an AB-Inbev product) which go right in the recycle bin if I get any.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Add "Negra Modelo" to the only use if no option list, did not have much trouble capping with a wing capper, but the labels are a PITA and that gold foil does not come off.... ever....