Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting/Infusing oranges
View Poll Results: What citrus would you use to infuse a liquor?
Orange 0 0%
Grapefruit 0 0%
Clementine 1 100.00%
Cumquat 0 0%
Tangerine 1 100.00%
Lemon 1 100.00%
Lime 1 100.00%
Bitter Orange 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Liquidsnake72588
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting/Infusing oranges

So since I'm new to pretty much everything alcohol i wasn't sure where to ask this question. so here goes my back story:

A couple month ago i infused vodka with several citrus fruits which turned out amazing!!! I used grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and cumquats! I just diced them stuck them in a jar and added about 1 1/2 cups of sugar and Seagram's Extra smooth Vodka.

Since it was so amazing, as you might have already guessed, i drank it all and thus tried to replicate it. But this is where i ran into couple problems. First, cumquats are out of season and i couldn't find any. I searched every major retailer in my area. Tops, Wal-Mart, Wegman's, Price-Rite... everywhere. Sadly there are no Asian markets nearby that i know of. So this time i used grapefruit, oranges and clementines. Those where the only citrus i could find. This time i also used Gin instead of Vodka. Try something new! I also decided to add the sugar after i had removed the infused fruit from the jar instead of initially like i did with the first batch.

So i jarred the fruit and let it sit in my kitchen under the window where it is out of direct sunlight and cool, seeing as it is summer. I thought about putting it in my basement but its infested with house centipedes and i hate going down there. So i left it in the kitchen.

Now this is where i started to notice the weirdest thing. The liquid started to bubble whenever i would pick up the jar and the seal on the cap was pushed up! I also noticed a steady drop in the amount of liquid in the jar. It has been about a week since i jarred it. I opened it today and i fizzed like soda for a couple seconds. I also checked the Gin i used to be infused and it is definitely still good. put some in a shot glass and lit it. SO there is alcohol still in it.

So to my question... WT* is going on? Is the Gin being infused or are the oranges fermenting?