brandons graff on saison cake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbrewin

Reaction score
I just did a saison furtif as was my first p.m. I'm wondering if i would have good results brewing brandons graff and then pouring it on the leftover yeast cake. The yeast i used for the frutif was wyeast 3724. are there any ill results you can think of by doin this or should we just go for it??? If not any suggestions for brews/ciders that would work well with that left over cake. thanks in advance for any input good or bad. thanks

I just moved a dark graff to my secondary that I pitched on minimally washed S04 after brewing a big smoked porter. It moved to secondary after a month at SG 1.014 down from OG 1.072. I doubt it will drop more from there over the next month or two while it sits on oak cubes.

What I am getting to is the pitching on the cake shouldn't be a problem, but it you have any concerns about taste transfer (I did with the smoked porter) then give the yeast a little wash.

My friend seasonally brews 4 cheap juice ciders in a row on the same hybrid yeast cake in the spring then sets them in 5gal Oak mini barrels through the florida summer. No graff but great stuff for a plain hard cider... excellent cider as a matter of fact. This is with no washing and two or more weeks on the cake at a time.

I know others here do long primaries as well. So if that's your worry consider the maximum length the cake will be around. Many on here will say if it is less than 2 months you have nothing to worry about.

was more worried about the saison yeast itself and flavor of the cider and or graff coming through with the wyeast 3724 or hopefully it could do amazing things guessing u have good experiances with s04 in hot weather or doyou temp control somehow? ever hear of ciders with saison yeast ever?

I can't comment on what temps exactly my friend fermented at, but I have been fermenting in the mid to high 70s. I have been using a swamp cooler to keep it a few degrees lower with evaporative but I would be seriously surprised if it ever went below 70. I haven't built up enough experience to know the difference. Its more of commentary that the yeast will handle it. As for flavors and what-not, your call. Cheap juice lessons your risk, and all you are out is time in the bottle and fermentors. I haven't a clue what your drinking tolerance is either. Some people will chug even the most unpleasent swill. Worse comes to worse you are out a batch... but it should come out drinkable and alcholic even if the taste is off. At which point you can mix it until its gone!

this yeast is made to handle high temps between 75-95 i have my two saisons at 90 right now in the closet on heating pads was just wondering simply what would saison yeast do too apple juice with or without malt an hops just a lil leery or ill be mixin not something i wanna do but hey these things happen in experimenting right so im gonna try a saison graff with beligan pils, an some pilsner lme

Well ill see how it goes friday or sunday, just don't know if I should go with the higher end juice that would be organic trader joes or cheapie no name juice from stop an shop but I do know ill be primeing the bottles with frozen aj concentrate did it once works amazing if you haven't tried it yet do it u won't be let down

down to a gravity of 1.012 tastes like an apple pie made with granny smiths and mac apples, the yeast has done amazing things with the juice. It also has a great fizz to it drank it the way it was when taking a gravity last nite! you would think that we put pie filling in the glass with spices, no alchol taste at all so an sg of 1.053 to hopefully a 1.006 then carb with 3/4 can of seneca frozen a.j. concetrate to carb.btw ended up using cheap juice from target cause it was on sale with a 1lb of munich malt 2lbs of pale malt a half pound of gambrinuis honey malt, a half pound of oats an 2oz of torrifed wheat, czech,saaz, an perle hops will put together the recipe in form on the cider page if any ones intrested

jcbrewin,

I would like the recipe as well.

A month ago, I stated a simple cider (juice +brown sugar) and saison yeast, just to see what it will be like. I am not sure what strain as I got as a washed gift from another homebrewer.

He said in 5 months it should be great. That's going to be a tough wait. Luckily, I have Graff to hold me over!

Back