A word of warning with unpasturized cider - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A word of warning with unpasturized cider

Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
LambChop4Prez
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Lakewood, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Start fermenting your unpasturized cider as soon as you get it. At least drop some camden into it.
I just finished cleaning a sticky mess in my refrigerator because I had left my cider in there for a week. Lucky for me it was in a plastic jug so I didn't have to deal with broken glass.
You have all been warned. Learn from my mistake.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
muse435

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

or just pop a air lock on each jug

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale

"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
oldmate

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Sydney, Australia
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

This mistake might be a godsend. Let it ride down till about 1.020 - 1.010 then draw a sample, if it tastes decent, draw another sample, cold crash the sample and read up on yeast washing. Stabilise and bottle the rest before it gets too dry as wild yeast tends to leave some nasty tastes the drier it gets.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
LambChop4Prez
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Lakewood, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
This mistake might be a godsend. Let it ride down till about 1.020 - 1.010 then draw a sample, if it tastes decent, draw another sample, cold crash the sample and read up on yeast washing. Stabilise and bottle the rest before it gets too dry as wild yeast tends to leave some nasty tastes the drier it gets.
I really wish I could have saved enough of it to do this. Unfortunately, the majority of it was on the inside of my refrigerator and the floor around it.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
oldmate

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Sydney, Australia
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Damn that sucks There's always next time you 'forget'!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

May 2008
Southern, NJ
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Reminds me of the plastic gallon jug of orange juice I forgot in the back of the fridge. Came across it when it was swelled up round like a basketball. Another day or so and boom!