Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Red Rye Ale

Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #91
ucbedge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm brewing this today. The recipe looks great as-is, but I ended up making the following changes:

1) I substituted the Columbus 20-minute and 10-minute hop additions for Cascades. My experience with Columbus hops is that they are more assertive in non-IPAs than I would like. I still want some assertiveness to counteract the spiceness of the rye, but I worry is that all those Columbus hops will be overpowering.

2) I'm using Denny's 1450 as my yeast, which I've had good experience with in the past. It tends to highlight the malt more than 1056 IMO.

Looking forward to this as my primary fall beer. Thanks OP!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #92
Painty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Would this be a good beer to brew as I have only brewed 2 AG batch's ... Or will it be ok to let this one make its way onto my list..??

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #93
SouthtownsBrewing2011
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge
I'm brewing this today. The recipe looks great as-is, but I ended up making the following changes:

1) I substituted the Columbus 20-minute and 10-minute hop additions for Cascades. My experience with Columbus hops is that they are more assertive in non-IPAs than I would like. I still want some assertiveness to counteract the spiceness of the rye, but I worry is that all those Columbus hops will be overpowering.

2) I'm using Denny's 1450 as my yeast, which I've had good experience with in the past. It tends to highlight the malt more than 1056 IMO.

Looking forward to this as my primary fall beer. Thanks OP!
Let me know how it comes out. When i made it with columbus it was excellent. The only problem i have with cascade is that when you fish with it sometimes you get a weird soapy aftertaste. That tends to turn a lot of people off. But the what the heck it is beer!
STBrewing

Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #94
ucbedge
Recipes 

I will definitely let you know how it turns out....

I did make one other change, and that was to reduce the IBUs to the 34-36 range. This may have been a mistake....I tasted the wort before putting it in the fermenter and it tasted a little sweeter than I would have liked. We'll see....

It's been in the fermenter for 6 days now and it's SLOWLY chugging along. Denny's 1450 certainly is a slow worker. I'm actually worried that I got some bum yeast since the yeast packet I got from my LBHS was a little swollen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthtownsBrewing2011 View Post
Let me know how it comes out. When i made it with columbus it was excellent. The only problem i have with cascade is that when you fish with it sometimes you get a weird soapy aftertaste. That tends to turn a lot of people off. But the what the heck it is beer!
STBrewing

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #95
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What %AA Columbus & Cascade hops did you use to get 36 IBU?

I have 18% AA Columbus available and not doing the 20 minute addition and keeping the rest the same gets the IBU close to about 40. Considering brewing this next.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #96
ucbedge
Recipes 

Here were my hop additions. I know that IBU calculations are notoriously fickle, but this is what got me to 34 IBUs.

Columbus 14% 0.5 ounces - 60 mins
Cascade 5.5% 0.5 ounces - 20 mins
Cascade 5.5% .25 ounces - 10 mins
Columbus 14% .25 ounces - 0 mins

It's been in the fermenter for 10 days now with the Denny's yeast. Took a sample and had a gravity of 1.012 (vs an expected FG of 1.013). This is surprising - my OG was on-point and I thought that fermentation was going more slowly than normal. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least 7 more days. Will let you know what FG I end up at.

I was worried that the wort wasnt hoppy enough. Well I just tasted my sample and I think it's turning out more balanced than I expected. It's very green with lots of yeast in suspension but still pretty good. I noticed that the rye flavor didnt come through as much as I thought it would. Hopefully it becomes more pronounced as the beer mellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
What %AA Columbus & Cascade hops did you use to get 36 IBU?

I have 18% AA Columbus available and not doing the 20 minute addition and keeping the rest the same gets the IBU close to about 40. Considering brewing this next.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #97
Woodyswoodchuck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I absolutely love rye beers. Looking to brew my first all grain batch this winter. This recipe might be just the one I have been looking for.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
SouthtownsBrewing2011
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge
Here were my hop additions. I know that IBU calculations are notoriously fickle, but this is what got me to 34 IBUs.

Columbus 14% 0.5 ounces - 60 mins
Cascade 5.5% 0.5 ounces - 20 mins
Cascade 5.5% .25 ounces - 10 mins
Columbus 14% .25 ounces - 0 mins

It's been in the fermenter for 10 days now with the Denny's yeast. Took a sample and had a gravity of 1.012 (vs an expected FG of 1.013). This is surprising - my OG was on-point and I thought that fermentation was going more slowly than normal. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least 7 more days. Will let you know what FG I end up at.

I was worried that the wort wasnt hoppy enough. Well I just tasted my sample and I think it's turning out more balanced than I expected. It's very green with lots of yeast in suspension but still pretty good. I noticed that the rye flavor didnt come through as much as I thought it would. Hopefully it becomes more pronounced as the beer mellows.
Are you dry hopping the last columbus in the fermentor?
I really would love to know how it comes out. I just had a couple of bottles which i bottled about 3 months ago from the original recipe and they are so smooth. I would love to try your variation and taste them next to the bottles i already have left!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #99
chrisn812
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Red Rye - LOVE IT

Hello All,

Just wanted to thank you for the spectacular recipe. This has been my most favorite beer I have done thus far (4th AG batch, and 5th overall). I am already considering in brewing another batch of this very soon.

Thanks again for the wonderful brew!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #100
BroBrau
Recipes 

I am going to brew this recipe this weekend. Good to see all the good reviews!