New Spotted Cow Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttin4doh

Reaction score
I know this has been done a few times, but I've been tweaking with the various recipes here, and this one turned out perfect....compared it to New Glarus, and despite making mine slightly lighter in SRMs, it's virtually spot on.

Notes - I have efficiency issues, so for the time being, I'm settling for 67%. Adjust the 2-row as neccessary for your more successful mash :eek:

I wanted this to finish plenty dry, New Glarus has some Saison qualities to it. I used WLP550 because I've always had great success with this finishing real low. Used a 1000ml starter. In addition, I ramped by mash up stopping at 122, then 135, and 148 (30 minutes each). Mine finished at 1.004.

As you can see from my early notes, I was concerned about 24 IBUs...not an issue at all. Give it a try, and PLEASE, let me know what you think. This is my first posted recipe, so I'd love some feedback!

Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) Shooting for Spotted Cow, very very close

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.25 lb
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 8.33 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 7.40 qt of water at 187.9 F 148.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.40 qt of water at 210.3 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
Try to get this to finish as light as possible...use a big yeast starter, and mash at a very low temp. Shoot for less than 1.08 FG

Try .75 oz for both hop additions next time? is 23 IBU too much?

I can tell you first hand from talking to an assistant brew master for NG at a bar (took a couple drinks for him to open up about it), but they use Kolsh yeast for it.

yeah, I thought that was the case. I tried the WLP029 kolsch yeast on a previous try, but I couldn't get FG down far enough for me. I'm sure you're right, but this one turn out very close. :mug:

bh10, I think I'm gonna have to go back to your suggestion. The batch has aged a bit more, and I taste more phenolic-flavors than I first noticed with WLP550. What do you you think about getting it dryer? It's already mashed at 148...has anyone had much experience with the Cream Ale strain? WLP080 I think?

bh10, I think I'm gonna have to go back to your suggestion. The batch has aged a bit more, and I taste more phenolic-flavors than I first noticed with WLP550. What do you you think about getting it dryer? It's already mashed at 148...has anyone had much experience with the Cream Ale strain? WLP080 I think?

Is it done fermenting? If not add a .5lb of sugar, if it is finshed, enjoy the beer and next time try the other yeast. But that the thing with any Belgian yeast, the yeast really adds a significant flavor to the beer, personally I even think Notty would work just fine with this beer.

Back