Accidentally froze yeast slurry, salvageable? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Accidentally froze yeast slurry, salvageable?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
gravrain
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Las Cruces, NM

So after making some of EdWort's Apfelwein I grabbed the yeast slurry for making a batch of cranberry Skeeter Pee. I tossed the bell jar I put the slurry in into a new kegerator I had just inherited and turned on. Apparently it was waaay too cold and the yeast slurry froze. I have transferred it to the main fridge for it to warm up slowly hoping that some of the slurry is salvageable.
Just wondering if anyone knew if a pretty thick slurry of yeast could survive a night and day of being frozen.

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Olympia, WA
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

There has to be some viable cells left, why not throw it into a starter and rejuvinate it a bit, then rewash? You will have perfrctly pitchable yeast after that

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
LakewoodBrew

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

It's probably fine, just let it thaw out slowly. Pitching a starter woudn't hurt either.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
There has to be some viable cells left, why not throw it into a starter and rejuvinate it a bit, then rewash? You will have perfrctly pitchable yeast after that
My thoughts exactly.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
gravrain
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Las Cruces, NM

Awesome, I'll gently bring it to pitching temp and see if anything takes. If anything cool happens I'll let y'all know.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 117 Times on 71 Posts

As the yeast freeze, ice crystals form that pierce the cell walls. As it warms up the now dead cells will leak out their contents, releasing enzymes which will cause any cells that survive to cease fermentation. In short, it's toast. Toss it, do another batch of cider as a new starter and try again... you'll be making more cider anyway, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
djsethall
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Olympia, WA
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
As the yeast freeze, ice crystals form that pierce the cell walls. As it warms up the now dead cells will leak out their contents, releasing enzymes which will cause any cells that survive to cease fermentation. In short, it's toast. Toss it, do another batch of cider as a new starter and try again... you'll be making more cider anyway, no doubt.
If I am hearing this correctly, there is absolutely no chance of being able to save the starter? You couldn't do a step up with a wash in between each step and end up with viable yeast?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
oldmate

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Sydney, Australia
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Actually, you can stop the ice splintering effect by re-heating as quickly as possible. For meat, it's by microwave. Yeast is going to be dead either way.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

In all likelihood, it's no longer any good. But, if it were me, I would try making a fresh starter with it and seeing if it ferments, and perhaps even stepping it up and making another starter with that yeast, if the first was somehow successful.

Then again, I currently have two 5-gal buckets containing a combined 25kg (55lbs) of DME, so I don't mind wasting some