Why does my honey brown ale suck so incredibly bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Worst beer I've made by far. I think it was a stuck fermentation, and just didn't bother to check the final gravity...man...it's like drinking a cup of sugar :cross:

And what's worse...is I just ran out of my best brew to date, and don't have anything in the stockade!!!

Brew when you bottle, that's what I say. That way there's always a new beer to come along if you screw up, or if you like something so much you drink it too fast!

I initially read the title of this as "Why does Honey Brown suck so bad?" thinking it was a reference to Dundee's Honey Brown Lager.

I was going to tell you "Because it's brewed with the sparkling brown waters of the Genesee River, which I once saw an entire used couch float down." but I guess that isn't pertinent here.

Real advice: Make a starter if using liquid yeast , verify thermometer if doing all grain, check your sanitation processes if you're shaky at all on that. (StarSan EVERYTHING)

Honey ale sucks in general if you ask me. I made one once, the first and last time. If I want honey flavor in the future it will only come from honey malt.

I was wondering maybe if you under-pitched,rather than it's getting stuck? What yeast did you use in what form?

I was going to tell you "Because it's brewed with the sparkling brown waters of the Genesee River, which I once saw an entire used couch float down." but I guess that isn't pertinent here.

HA! I had a friend that went to RIT in the 90's, and he literally developed photos in water direct from the Genesee River. If I recall properly, it took a week or so, but it did work.

If it was fairly fresh,that 1 pack should've been enough. Maybe re-hydrate next time. It def seems to help the cooper's ale yeast I use when modding their cans.

I've had hit and miss experiences with the notty (which is probably my fault and not theirs) but just used S-04 for a couple batches and it's done quite well, maybe try that? My FG in a special bitter was achieved in basically 4 days, no sweat.

Back