Patch job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowling5494

Reaction score
So here's what happened...
As I was putting the airlock on the lid of my primary for my current brew tragedy struck. As I was pushing it in, the rubber ring that locks and seals the airlock into the lid of my fermenting bucket came loose and fell into my batch. At first I panicked, but then I thought of a possible solution. I took a ziploc sandwich bag, cut a square of it off, soaked in sanitizing solution then placed it over the hole in my lid. I taped it on three sides to create a one way valve (a trick from my EMT course, if it works for a gunshot wound it should work for beer, right?). I hope this works. Someone please tell me that this kind of thing happens all the time, and it's nothing to worry about. Please?

I dont think it happens all the time, but im sure its happened before.

I know it works on gunshot wounds, but that is when there is a vacuum on the thing that its covering (i.e. in the bucket, or chest cavity in the wound example). Once fermentation is over and its no longer letting off co2 some of your environment will be able to get in because there is no vacuum holding the plastic to the bucket.

I'm sure you'll be fine though, there are many people around here who dont even clamp the lids down. Just dont age it for six months in that bucket.

Back