First Batch - How long to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first 5 gallon batch of beer. It's an Amber Ale (was part of a kit). I plan on going right from primary fermenter to bottling but would lik ena opinion on when to bottle. It's been in the primary for 11 days at the moment. I never took an original hydrometer reading (bad move there) and don't really want to open the fermenter to do so, at risk of contamination. Currently, the air lock is releasing gas at about a bubble every 40 seconds. Is there any way I can tell the fermentation is complete enough without taking a sample and using my hydrometer? I don't want over-carbonation when I bottle. Any help would be great!

Post up the recipe and we should be able to get a decent idea of what the OG should have been. Assuming it was an extract brew.

I would pull a sample after 2-3 weeks in primary to see what the SG is. Taste the sample too. Take another reading ~3 days later and compare with the other. That should give you the FG. If the two readings don't match (exactly) then its still fermenting. Even once you have the FG, taste will tell you when its really ready to be bottled. I would NOT rack to 'secondary' at all. Leaving it on the yeast cake for the duration will do your brew better. I've been letting my normal brews go 4-6 weeks on the yeast before bottling. I have some bigger brews planned that will go at least 8 weeks on the yeast cake.

If you're itching to brew another batch, get another fermentee/primary. Having multiple fermenters capable of holding a full batch size, with at least some headspace is one of the best things you can do. I now have three SS fermenters that can easily handle 5 gallon batches. I have another four that can be used in a pinch, or for aging. Stainless is beyond great. I'm planning on getting at least one more 25L (or larger) primary within the next few weeks/month. That way I won't ever need to use either glass or plastic to ferment again. :rockin: :ban:

I agree. Don't rush anything. Patience makes good beer.

Post up the recipe and we should be able to get a decent idea of what the OG should have been. Assuming it was an extract brew.

I would pull a sample after 2-3 weeks in primary to see what the SG is. Taste the sample too. Take another reading ~3 days later and compare with the other. That should give you the FG. If the two readings don't match (exactly) then its still fermenting. Even once you have the FG, taste will tell you when its really ready to be bottled. I would NOT rack to 'secondary' at all. Leaving it on the yeast cake for the duration will do your brew better. I've been letting my normal brews go 4-6 weeks on the yeast before bottling. I have some bigger brews planned that will go at least 8 weeks on the yeast cake.

If you're itching to brew another batch, get another fermentee/primary. Having multiple fermenters capable of holding a full batch size, with at least some headspace is one of the best things you can do. I now have three SS fermenters that can easily handle 5 gallon batches. I have another four that can be used in a pinch, or for aging. Stainless is beyond great. I'm planning on getting at least one more 25L (or larger) primary within the next few weeks/month. That way I won't ever need to use either glass or plastic to ferment again. :rockin: :ban:

What kind of fermenter are you using. I'm in the market for some new ones. I want to upgrade past my two 6.5 gal plastic buckets.

The short answer to your question is "no". There is no way to know if fermentation is complete without taking a hydrometer reading. Give it another week or 10 days, then bottle it, and you should be fine.

I agree. Don't rush anything. Patience makes good beer.

What kind of fermenter are you using. I'm in the market for some new ones. I want to upgrade past my two 6.5 gal plastic buckets.

Got two 25L and one pony kegs. I have feelers out for the tall 1/4 kegs too. Still the new 25L kegs stack nicely for storing, so I might just get more of those. Not cheap to buy but considering how long they should last, a solid investment.

I would advise taking two (or more if needed) samples in order to establish the FG of the brew. Just bottling after X days is not advised. Even though fermentation should be complete, you won't know without readings. Of course, having the OG, or rrcipe, would really help. Knowing the temperature its been fermenting at would also help.

I'm reading through the new Yeast book right now. A good amount of the info in there has also been posted on these boards. Especially the long primary, no secondary, method.

Latest posts

Back