Crushed, poor crush, not crushed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Briess Caramel 60
Crushed, poor crush, not crushed.
What do you think?

crush3lr.jpg

That's probably it. I'd say that about a third of the husks are broken. There's even some flower in there.

Not something you'd think would be sold as not crushed. I don't have any immediate use for it. Planned on storing it for a while, but don't like the idea of hanging onto crushed grain. Probably be fine, but for the cost I'd rather know I'm starting with something fresh ground. Sad, but tossing it.

Out of curiousity, who was the distributor on that? I've gotten some "uncrushed" bags of various crystal malts from LD Carlson that look kind of like that as well. Has been throwing me off but decided not to worry about it.

I wouldn't chuck it. A lot of the bags of grain I have in storage have junk like that in the bottom of them. No biggie....

I wouldn't chuck it. A lot of the bags of grain I have in storage have junk like that in the bottom of them. No biggie....
If it were the bottom of my bag, I'd have had the use of everything up to that point. Not the same as getting only the "bottom of the barrel." When it gets to this point, I'd think that the vendor would save it for someone requesting crushed grain and provide the customer with the product that he requested.

I'd give it away, but it'd cost more to ship than it's worth.

Back