Easy FB Removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HempelNet

Reaction score
I have a false bottom from Jay and a weldless dip tube assembly from bargain fittings. As everything fits together perfectly removing the FB for cleaning can be a bit difficult. Currently I am pretty much unscrewing the diptube to get the FB out and was thinking there has to be an easier way.

I was thinking of cutting the tube to remove an inch portion then placing silicone tubing on it so I could bend it out of the way to remove the FB.

Has anyone done this or what do you use / do for getting the FB out easily?

4-14-2011 12-02-47 PM.jpg

I don't even use a dip tube, i go from kettle barb to fb barb with hi temp silicone tubing. I'd say that would be fine aswell.

I tried some silicone tubing on the tube before cutting to verify it would be tight enough. Well lets just say I am glad I did since it is a little loose and may cause lose of suction. With that said....

Still open for more suggestions or examples from the HBT community please.

Thanks.

SS Hose Clamps?

If you are looking to make this easily removable I would suggest the plastic versions that you can take on/off with only your hands.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10595
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11275
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11663

As long as you get get it air tight I can't see why it would not work. If you use a long enough section of tubing and give yourself enough slack you may be able to remove the false bottom without even disconnecting the tubing. In essence pull the tubing out the false bottom whole and out of the way and remove the FB. The only problem I can see would be knocking the drain tube out of the false bottom when mixing the mash.

I was thinking about using a small set of Tri Clover fittings on the inside of my keggle. One side on the coupler and the other on the dip tube. Anybody do that? Where to buy the small Tri's?

I think I would need 3/4" Mini Tri fittings. Where to buy them?

I have 1/2' stainless going to my false bottom. I bought a union from Bargain Fittings. Hand tight on the install and it's a snap to pull out and clean. Also it ensures a tight fit to the bottom of the MLT. You can barely see the union at the top of the picture. Also, you get a good shot of the awesome MLT scraper outer tool my buddy made me....

MLT.jpg

I had some left over stainless "keychains rings" that I took off some quick disconnects. I partially uncoiled the rings to make handles for the new false bottom I purchased;

False_Bottom_Wire_Handles.jpg

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

^^What he said^^ Unbolt your compression fitting and then pull the diptube/fb out.

OR rework your existing diptube in to something like this...
IMG_0558.jpg

This is exactly what I have (it'd be nice if your pic was a little smaller, dude). However, you need to make sure that the apex of the 90 degree turn is below the level of the exit port of the diptube.

Latest posts

Back