Help with wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
I CHECKED THE FORUMS AND CANT FIND THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION SO I STARTED A NEW THREAD, i WAS GOING TO BREW YESTERDAY SO I SMACKED MY PACK OF YEAST SO IT WOULD SWELL IN TIME TO BREW. i GOT SIDETRACKED YESTERDAY SO HAD TO WAIT TO BREW TODAY, IS THE SMACK PACK STILL USEABLE EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN SWELLING FOR 24 HOURS?

Ack! Dont yell! Its probably fine. All you did was get the yeast going.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

apologies, i didnt notice i had hit the caps lock button. not yelling

OBSCZONER said:
apologies, i didnt notice i had hit the caps lock button. not yelling

No problem. Just having some fun with you. ;-)

Pitch it and see. Worst case, depending on temps and such, it wont take off. Then you can pitch something else without just throwing away your smack pack without at least giving it a chance

I did the same and let my pack sit for 2 days and it was fine, better to keep it in the fridge if you pop it and aren't going to use it right away then take it out a few hours before you plan on pitching it.

I've left mine for as many as 3 days before with no problems. As long as the temps aren't to high it should be fine!

I thought I was going to brew sat night at 6 so I smacked my yeast at 3 then found out I was invited to go bowling and such. I left at 6 and it was completely swollen. I came back around 11 and started brewing. didn't pitch till at least 2-3.

i usually smack mine at least 12 hrs before use. i smack it and set it on top of my water heater the night before i brew.

a very wise man once said..."relax, have a homebrew"

Back