Temperature on Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my very first post...but most likely not my last. I am a beginner, and just started my first batch on Monday. Here's what I'm running into:

I am brewing a Bavarian Hefeweizen from an extract kit I bought. I am using the stick on thermometers and for the first couple of days it's been showing about 68 degrees, but today when I got home it is registering 64. Will this fluctuation in temperature throw off the batch? Should the temp stay constant?If so, what's the best way to keep a constant temperature, and also, how reliable are the stick on thermometers?

-J-

That's getting into the low end of keeping the yeast active from my experience. Is the airlock still bubbling? If not then you'll need to move your primary to a warmer spot in your residence to get the yeast going again. Once you move it you can give your primary a slight, and I mean SLIGHT, stir to get the yeast kicked up to get it active again. I just did the same recipe, Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract, and mine had active fermentation for 6 to 7 days at 66 to 70 degrees. Temperature control is the biggest factor in home brewing next to sanitation. You do well in those two areas and you'll usually make good beer.

I would leave it be... the temperature drop is probably because the vigorous part of.the fermentation has completed. The first few days the beer will be a few degrees warmer due to very active fermentation.

I would leave it be... the temperature drop is probably because the vigorous part of.the fermentation has completed. The first few days the beer will be a few degrees warmer due to very active fermentation.

+1 to that. the beer is always 3 or 4 degrees warmer during active fermentation. still, that's about as low as you want it to go for a hefe

Back