How many ounces of hops are in your freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have 12oz of Amarillo, 1 oz Mt. Hood, 1 oz Citra, 12 oz Cascade and 8 oz Centennial...SWMBO is starting to get annoyed :D

About 3lbs. Simco, Citra, Cascade, Amarillo (1lb), Magnum, Summit, and a few more. Too lazy to go look. I bought several of the variety packs from farmhouse brewing supply. They are in the kegerator freeze so SWMBO is happy (for now).

Tell SWMBO it could be worse. I have actually spilled from the beer freezer to the kitchen freezer. I have about 10 lbs of various pellets frozen. US Magnum, Columbus, Amarillo (I have 12 ounces that will need to be used sparingly - becoming impossible to find) Simcoe (planning on stupidly blowing 8oz of Simcoe on a triple IPA), Cascade, Centennial, Crystal, Northern Brewer, Willamette, Saaz, Hallertauer, and a few ounces of Glacier. I am not proud of it. I bought them all by the pound from hopsdirect.com when the prices were so good that it made more sense to buy a pound of something for 9 dollars than spend $2-3/ oz at the HBS. These purchases were also made before it was in vogue for the online retailers to offer an 8oz price. The 8oz size will be the way I go from now on, but I will not be needing anything for a while.

Joe

Not that much (less than 1lb), I finally got over that phase where you have to have large quantities of every hop. I now am going to buy only as I need them. Unless of course a super cheap deal tempts me.

I also have about 7lbs of various hops, maybe more.

I have a fridge in my garage that is dedicated to brewing supplies. The specialty grain side is packed tight. The freezer still has some room for more hops, but if I spend another penny on brewing stuff I'll get the full wrath of an angry SWMBO...

I switched to using pellets almost exclusively in order to save space in the freezer. I have about 10 lbs in there now.

I have about 4 lbs. 1/2 lb of Centennial Leaf, 1/2 lb Nugget Leaf, 1 lb pellets of cascade, hallertau, and magnum. I am limited to the top shelf in the kitchen freezer. We have been on the lookout for a good deal for a new fridge in the kitchen, then the current one will go downstairs and be ALL MINE!!!

Just ordered 1.5 lbs from freshops. Should be in my freezer by the weekend. That reminds me, I need to defrost my freezer before they get here... BTW, I have a separate beer freezer that I keep this stuff in - my kitchen freezer is too full of frozen food to fit much in the way of hops.

I'm about 4-5lbs, but that's down considerably. I brewed 45g in the last 3 weeks and burned through a whole bunch. I was probably closer to 7 before that. I do all the cooking, so SWMBO doesn't really care that I take up a large part of the freezer.

Probably right around 5lbs. Good thing IPA season is just about to get started! (I love IPAs all year round but did back off to do a lot more maltier beers for the colder months)

Probably around 3 lbs. I will likely have another 3 lbs from our plants this year and have to give some of last years away again, unless I brew up a couple of batches of IPA!

80+oz.

1lb tettnanger
" hallertau mittelfrueh
" hallertau hersbrucker
" fuggles
" Styrian Golding

+ Misc williamette, tradition, EKG, etc.

I have 10+ pounds. Problem being, at 10$/pound I have a hard time paying $2/ounce, so I end up buying them by the pound. The only one I regret is the pound of Tettenanger I bought, that I have yet to use. I brew mainly IPA's, so the hops don't really last. Plus I trade often for hops that I don't really use.

Centennial
Columbus
Simcoe
Amarillo
Cascade
Nugget
Tettenanger
Northern Brewer
Citra
Sorachi Ace
Willamette

I plan to change that.

What I like about having bulk hops, is I have no problem dry hopping the hell out of my IPAs.

Tell SWMBO it could be worse. I have actually spilled from the beer freezer to the kitchen freezer. I have about 10 lbs of various pellets frozen. US Magnum, Columbus, Amarillo (I have 12 ounces that will need to be used sparingly - becoming impossible to find) Simcoe (planning on stupidly blowing 8oz of Simcoe on a triple IPA), Cascade, Centennial, Crystal, Northern Brewer, Willamette, Saaz, Hallertauer, and a few ounces of Glacier. I am not proud of it. I bought them all by the pound from hopsdirect.com when the prices were so good that it made more sense to buy a pound of something for 9 dollars than spend $2-3/ oz at the HBS. These purchases were also made before it was in vogue for the online retailers to offer an 8oz price. The 8oz size will be the way I go from now on, but I will not be needing anything for a while.

Joe

Joe,

Don't spare the Amarillo, they are way too good! If you need some more they have them at Freshops. I just got a pound delivered yesterday.:ban:

360 ounces

holy crap I have 22.5 lbs of hops. I have to stop buying hops! I don't get to brew often enough. I really need to go nuts on some IIPA's, or maybe IIIIPA's. I have been averaging 8-12oz on all my APA's & IPA's, but maybe I need to use 1lb at a time lol.

Right there with you... 320oz as of right now == 20lbs.

M_C
360 ounces

holy crap I have 22.5 lbs of hops. I have to stop buying hops! I don't get to brew often enough. I really need to go nuts on some IIPA's, or maybe IIIIPA's. I have been averaging 8-12oz on all my APA's & IPA's, but maybe I need to use 1lb at a time lol.

Hum, I don't think I said my hops are fresher than anybody else's. I said I buy them fresh, meaning not frozen.

yeah, i can buy them 'fresh' at my lhbs but they are always $2-$3 and ounce whereas when i buy them in bulk from farmhouse they are less than $1.

since i brew a decent amount of IPAs that use a lot of hops the savings are pretty considerable.

Holy crap! There's no hops shortage! It's all in your freezers!!!!!
I have a .5 oz of Warrior, and .5 oz Amarillo in the fridge

People stocking up huge amounts of hops don't help at all with shortage in the market, but luckily, the places I buy them are unaffected and unaware of any shortage... :mug:

6 oz Centennial
6 oz Simcoe
6 oz Amarillo
4 oz Cascade
4 oz Magnum
2 oz Warrior
4 oz Falconer's Flight

1 lb columbus
1 lb chinook
1 lb willemete
2 lb Amarillo
10 oz cascade