Corny Keg prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin' Lion

Reaction score
Just happen to notice lately that Corny keg prices have been going up. There was a seller on ebay auctioning kegs with a buy-it-now of $80 shipped, which is now $100. :mad:

I unfortunately only bought two when I started kegging and now have a batch that needs to go into a keg. I can either pay throught the nose on one or two kegs, or find someone to help me kill of some Apfelwein.

What a dilemma...

um, you may want to look harder, I see 2 for $31, 4 for $75 buy it now...are you looking at 2.5 or 3 gallon ones? those are always pricy.

I was including shipping in the total cost. Most that I saw used to be $80 shipped.

EDIT: 5 gal. ball lock

Colorado, I do appreciate your enthusiasm. I realized I was not specific in my original post, Those kegs were priced at $80 shipped for 4 kegs (20 a piece). Even if I go with the current price of $125 shipped for 4 that's still only $31.25 a piece. I guess I'm just feeling cheap at the moment.

That's why I posted here though, just in case someone saw something I missed. Thanks for looking. :mug:

so correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, Coke and Pepsi have stopped using cornies, thus, they are not made any more....so this means there is a limited supply, and with the popularity of homebrewing, there will be none left someday no?

I'm not quite ready for kegging, at this point in my life, I need my beers to be more portable and shareable...I just hope the supply doesn't run out before I am ready.

Colorado, It's not likely that you'll see the supply run out entirely. Some websites still sell Brand New kegs, so somebody may be manufacturing them still.

Occasionally you'll see auctions for a whole pallet of kegs for $300 or so, it seems that with stainless prices on the rise and supplies becoming limited, that prices are also on the rise.

Thanks to those who posted alternatives (knipknup and 99expo), I've already started looking. :mug:

always keep an eye out on craigslist. i've found the majority of my kegs through craigslist.

also, a little bit of calling around may be able to get you some kegs. try calling the local pepsi and coke distributors and see if you can buy some kegs from them.

also, on ebay, a seller i know of who sells 4 kegs for 80 shipped every now and then is: dianah5331, they don't have any kegs listed right now, but they go up every now and then. recently they've only been pin lock though.

also, i believe you are referring to seller 'superlarry' for the kegs that went up in price. i think prices will only continue to rise, so if you can find cheap sources for decent kegs, get enough to hold you over... (i now have over 30 kegs)

I took advantage of this and I am very happy.
Leo

Brewers Discount (Office)
1446 Devon Dr.
Grimesland, NC 27837
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 252-758-5967

* Two Ball Lock five gallon kegs: cleaned, pressure checked two for $32.00

Cornelius Rebuilt five gallon keg: cleaned, pressure checked, new gaskets, relief valve and poppets $26.00

Flyin' Lion said:
Colorado, I do appreciate your enthusiasm. I realized I was not specific in my original post, Those kegs were priced at $80 shipped for 4 kegs (20 a piece). Even if I go with the current price of $125 shipped for 4 that's still only $31.25 a piece. I guess I'm just feeling cheap at the moment.

That's why I posted here though, just in case someone saw something I missed. Thanks for looking. :mug:

Well kegs here are up to $80 each plus shipping!!!!!!!

I've been happy with these guys $18 + shipping the best shipping rate is with 4 kegs. They had some single handle units for $15 but they may be gone by now.

http://www.homebrewing.org/

According to their web site they are getting into a bidding war with scrap metal dealers hence the $ increase.

The best advice I could offer is get em while the gettin good. The price is not likely to come down and I'd say highly likely to continune to climb.

orfy said:
Well kegs here are up to $80 each plus shipping!!!!!!!

Too true, it's extremely hard to find decently priced kegs over here. Even importing from the US, the shipping prices make it pointless. I do have friends that can get their hands on 80 pint kegs, but the weight and capacity makes them a bit too hardcore for me when I'm only doing 5 gallon batches as a time.

Cornies would be perfect, but they seem to be few and far between in the UK.

shbrewer said:
I took advantage of this and I am very happy.
Leo

Brewers Discount (Office)
1446 Devon Dr.
Grimesland, NC 27837
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 252-758-5967

* Two Ball Lock five gallon kegs: cleaned, pressure checked two for $32.00

Cornelius Rebuilt five gallon keg: cleaned, pressure checked, new gaskets, relief valve and poppets $26.00

Why do the ball-lock kegs cost more than the corny kegs?

EDIT: I'm assuming both the ball-lock and the cornies are all used kegs.

Hey Guys don't forget Adventures in Homebrewing

www.homebrewing.org

They sell used cornies, cleaned and pressure checked for $15/ea.

They are very good. Talk to either Jason (Owner) or Matt if you call, great customer service and very fast.

EDIT: My mistake, $18/ea. Still a good price.

cornelius is just a manufacturer, just like firestone or spartanburg.

ball lock refers to the type of connection. there are two main connections types for 5 gallon soda kegs: pin lock and ball lock, with ball lock being more popular and readily available.

I got five kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing. $18 is a good price but be advised that you can end up with lids that have old-style Firestone pressure release valves that are impossible to find for replacement. (These three lids had valves that were in pretty poor shape - held pressure but they were plastic on the inside of the lid and cracked looking. Sanitation nightmare.) I got three used lids with the more common release valves from Brewers Discount because of it. It's really luck of the draw it seems, all the kegs I got were Firestone/Spartanburg, four with plastic dip tubes and one with stainless; one has a straight liquid dip tube and the other four used the curved kind. They took a lot of cleanup to get into a usable shape, but they are sold as-is. I'm probably going to replace the liquid-side posts on a couple of them as they are pretty scratched up on the surface.

If I did it again I would probably just buy a reconditioned/cleaned keg and forgo the hassle of cleanup and parts replacement.

Buford said:
I got five kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing. $18 is a good price but be advised that you can end up with lids that have old-style Firestone pressure release valves that are impossible to find for replacement. .

3 out of the 4 I got from petalbiker on ebay came with the firestone PRV's ( not real happy when I found out they were obsolete, the plastic was bad enough ) But none of the 8 I got from Adventures has been firestones. Like you said maybe luck of the draw.

I understand the convenience in having a pullable PRV right in the lid, but what's the big deal if you have to throw a spare gas in disconnect on to release the pressure from the post? I have a few kegs with the captive PRV and some with nothing at all. Hasn't been a problem so far. If I ever have an issue with the captive style, I'll just bust it out and fill the hole with devcon liquid metal.

Bobby_M said:
I understand the convenience in having a pullable PRV right in the lid, but what's the big deal if you have to throw a spare gas in disconnect on to release the pressure from the post?

Or a small screwdriver.

The issue for me was that the old valves were the type that used a plastic nut in the underside of the lid, and the nut had hairline cracks in it. It'd be nearly impossible to sanitize.

Buford said:
The issue for me was that the old valves were the type that used a plastic nut in the underside of the lid, and the nut had hairline cracks in it. It'd be nearly impossible to sanitize.

got my kegs from AHB. never seen what your talking about.

they bought a huge batch of used kegs, unfortunately they will vary. i'm sure if you call them up they can either help or research some help.

Buford said:

Yeah, I mean literally destroy that whole thing and remove the valve. Seal the opening with some liquid metal devcon which is FDA safe after setting up. Use your gas in poppet as the pressure relief.

I've already replaced the lids at this point, so it's kind of a moot point.

The old style Firestone valve was just installed in a simple hole in the lid kind of like a bulkhead fitting. The lids were pretty decrepit, though, as I also broke the plastic feet on the bail on one of them when closing the lid. I'd estimate those things to have been made in the late 70s or early 80s if I read the serial numbers right, and they looked like they had been stored outside in the dirt for years.

EDIT: The valves in question were the type B in this photo:

reliefvalves.gif

Hmm, I'll have to take a pic of the one that I'm talking about cuz it's none of those. Mine have a bump out in the metal of the lid and there's a plastic piece captured inside. No way to pull it for a pressure release.

Sounds like it's from a Firestone pin lock. That would be type C in that photo. You can still find those, but they're only overpressure releases and can't be manually operated.

Of course, without actually seeing it, I have no idea what I'm talking about :D

Ok, so what is the bottom line if I want to buy a used keg from the get-go. I have no components now and would like to slowly get into kegging (basically I want a nitro system for stout). What is the best direction in terms of longevity. I see the posts about problems finding replacement parts...what is the best way to proceed?

its like buying a used car... cheap purchase price but who knows when stuff will start to fail. New cars are a lot more expensive, but at least you know where you are at with them.

As far as nitrogen/beer gas for stouts... any particular reason other than fancy looking bubbles and a creamier head? Has anyone ever tried one of those aeration faucets? Supposedly if you push back on them they mix air in w/ the beer and make a smooth foam come out to give a nice controllable head.

zoebisch01 said:
Ok, so what is the bottom line if I want to buy a used keg from the get-go. I have no components now and would like to slowly get into kegging (basically I want a nitro system for stout). What is the best direction in terms of longevity. I see the posts about problems finding replacement parts...what is the best way to proceed?

I've never had problems finding replacement parts. I have typ A in that picture for a pressure relief valce, and ball lock.

I would say whoever and wherever you buy call ahead of time so you know what your buying. If they have more than one just request what you feel comfortable with.

sirsloop said:
As far as nitrogen/beer gas for stouts... any particular reason other than fancy looking bubbles and a creamier head? Has anyone ever tried one of those aeration faucets? Supposedly if you push back on them they mix air in w/ the beer and make a smooth foam come out to give a nice controllable head.

I have an old style stout faucet that has an adjustable flow. It has a valve the resricts the flow. You can get a nice creamy head on any beer with this faucet. I found it on ebay after a lot of searching. I cleaned it up and love it.

Taps.jpg

Brewpastor said:
I have an old style stout faucet that has an adjustable flow. It has a valve the resricts the flow. You can get a nice creamy head on any beer with this faucet. I found it on ebay after a lot of searching. I cleaned it up and love it.

Taps.jpg

Do you use that with CO2 or Nitro?

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread! :D Just that it all ties into cornies anyways....well sort of lol.

Brewpastor said:
No nitro required.

i need one of those!

I fashioned an adaptor with some High density (refridgerator) water line, a hose barb to 1/2 in adaptor, a restrictor plate made from a pop can, and a 1/2 in extension. fits right inside my picnic faucet.

ghetto rigged, but it does a decent job on my first stout! and for $1.75 in parts I wasn't worried if it failed! :rockin:

gnef said:
always keep an eye out on craigslist. i've found the majority of my kegs through craigslist.

also, a little bit of calling around may be able to get you some kegs. try calling the local pepsi and coke distributors and see if you can buy some kegs from them.

also, on ebay, a seller i know of who sells 4 kegs for 80 shipped every now and then is: dianah5331, they don't have any kegs listed right now, but they go up every now and then. recently they've only been pin lock though.

also, i believe you are referring to seller 'superlarry' for the kegs that went up in price. i think prices will only continue to rise, so if you can find cheap sources for decent kegs, get enough to hold you over... (i now have over 30 kegs)

I initially got my kegs from Dainah5331 and was itching to by more but, like you said, they have only been selling pinlock lately. I called today but never heard back from them, so I'm waiting to see if they have any more ball lock kegs left. I may have to suck it up and pay a bit extra just for the piece of mind. :mug:

what's nice about buying used kegs though, is that for the most part, the lids are all the same (except for the really old 'racetrack' style lids), so if you don't like the lid, just get a new oval one, and it should mate right up.

posts are a different story though. i think the different manufacturers have a different threading for the posts, so if you ever need to replace the post, make sure you know the manufacturer and series. same with poppets.

This whole thread has gotten me thinking that I might need to pull the trigger on some cornies. I'm not even remotely close to kegging now (shooting for this summer) but in my search of the local recycling depots (zilch) and the local pepsi distributor (they must have sensed I prefer Coca Cola, no go) I struck out. So I'm going to have to buy from Ebay. pedalbiker (who is famous for his keggles) has some good deals so I'll probably end up with some cornies sitting in my garage just to beat the price increases that are sure to come.

And yeah, they have gone up over the past couple of months. :(

Ize

Back