good idea for keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I know a lot of people put in computer fans and such to help circulate air around the keezer.. while that in itself is a great idea, I came across this and ordered it, thought I would share.

Wire shelf

The finish has a lifetime guarantee against corrosion, and is about 1/5 of the cost of stainless (plus offered in smaller sizes). They have a variety of lengths and sizes to fit your keezer, and this particular size is rated for 800 lbs.
So basically it just gets the kegs up off the keezer floor, which will of course improve circulation. Add a fan in there as well, and I would imagine you could get really consistent temps. Plus an added bonus, it keeps the keezer floor clean. Also, I think I may angle my keezer a bit, so all moisture will flow to one side, then I could easily wipe it up once a month or whatever with a towel.

shipping is only a couple of bux, but there is a $10 charge on there that says 'minimum charge' or something.. even still, total to my door was $35.. pretty cheap IMO. the bottom of my keezer is 16 X 26, so this fits in with an inch on every side.

That's a good idea. You can get these at Lowes, if you have one close by. It's basically a Metro Shelving style rack. My Lowes sells the individual components. I'll have to check on pricing this weekend.

It would also prevent the ring of rust from the bottom of the co2 tank. Right now, I have my tank sitting in a plastic trash can in the keezer. This would be cooler.

all the ones i saw at lowes are for wall mount, which means, the lip is only on one side.. so it wouldn't sit flush on the ground, if that makes sense.. maybe I didn't look around enough... but yeh this works great.
Also, if it's cheap and at lowes, it's probably just chrome, which, while corrosion resistant, is nothing near the resistance that SS provides, and this nexelon finish is apparently in the SS league of corrosion resistance.

for your co2 tank, use one of these, or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1ZUWO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

i actually will use one of these for my last keg. the square rack only holds 5 (they are staggered), so the 6th one, I was planning on finding something like this, though I don't know how it would hold up with 50+ lbs. on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same with mine except I used stuff I already had. I cut down some old wire racks from a DVD shelf I wasn't using and put them under the kegs. Made a big difference.

The biggest thing it stopped was icing between the kegs after a new keg goes in. What was happening is a new keg caused the freezer to run continually while it tried to get the keg down to the right temp but the kegs were packed so close together the pockets between them got MUCH colder than the rest of the interior. After I dropped the racks in that stopped and it took less time to cool a fresh keg.

You can see a corner of them in the pic below. It is actually four narrow pieces overlapping since I had to cut them in half to fit... they were too long.

Ducted.JPG

Back