Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Propane Tank and Regulator freezing up

Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Propane Tank and Regulator freezing up

Yesterday I finaly got to brew on my new system. My RIMS tube worked great bringing my mash temp back up after undershooting it, and kept everything perfect.
The problem I had was my propane tank and regulator were freezing up. My new stand has banjo burners, I never ran them at the same time. The propane is plumbed through the stand to each burner (it's one of Marcus' stands). When I was trying to get the boil going, the flame kept going down. I could not belive the frost that was on the side of the tank and the regulator. I had to keep shaking it around to get the propane flowing again to keep a good boil going.
I did a search, and came up with a bunch of different things, but no one said anything that worked to stop it from freezing.
What have you guys/girls done to stop this?
Thanks,
Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
FishFace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

IMHO it sounds like the regulator is running too high. A too fast release of pressured gas causes cooling. I have two 60k burners running off one 10psi regulator.

What type of regulator do you have

Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFace View Post
IMHO it sounds like the regulator is running too high. A too fast release of pressured gas causes cooling. I have two 60k burners running off one 10psi regulator.

What type of regulator do you have
To be honest, I am not sure. It is the one that was sent with my stand, so I assumed it was the correct one. I will have to check it later.
I tried adjusting the knob on the regulator but it did not do anything.

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

How cold was it outside? You can put the propane tank in a big tub of warm water to help keep the temps up a bit.

Other than that, you may just be running the regulator a bit too high as stated above.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

The other factor, do you know when your tank was filled? The mixture from the bulk distributors usually varies a bit from summer to winter. Winter mix in most cases has a higher vaporization rate than does summer mix. They mix propane with various other hydrocarbons such a butane to alter the vaporization rates. When it freezes up, it is basically caused by demanding more propane be drawn from the tank than can be vaporized.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
How cold was it outside? You can put the propane tank in a big tub of warm water to help keep the temps up a bit.

Other than that, you may just be running the regulator a bit too high as stated above.
It was almost 50* out. Today it is back down to 20*.
I was trying to lower the dial but it wasn't reaslly doing anything.
I wonder if I got a bad regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
The other factor, do you know when your tank was filled? The mixture from the bulk distributors usually varies a bit from summer to winter. Winter mix in most cases has a higher vaporization rate than does summer mix. They mix propane with various other hydrocarbons such a butane to alter the vaporization rates. When it freezes up, it is basically caused by demanding more propane be drawn from the tank than can be vaporized.
That I didn't know, but it was filled in November i think.

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
I was trying to lower the dial but it wasn't reaslly doing anything.
I wonder if I got a bad regulator.
So it's not the temp then, you can always swap the regulator out to see if that's it. Got a turkey fryer? Or stop at a big box store and pick one up, you can always return it if that's not the culprit.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

also, double check to make sure you aren't feeding a low pressure burner with a high pressure regulator. If you are using a needle valve controlled burner, I personally prefer a non adjustable regulator like is used on a grill so that there is only one gas adjustment to have to mess with. If this is the case and you are using a low pressure burner, you can probably steal the regulator off of your gas grill if you have one for testing purposes.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
That I didn't know, but it was filled in November i think.
most definitely not the mix then.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
mtbiker278
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I find if the tank is <1/3 full it'll freeze up more in cold weather. I'll second the tub of warm water, or at least 50F when it's cold out.