I decided to try propagating yeast earlier this month. I made my first wort based agar mixture. I made up some slants. I had some agar left over so I made up three petri dishes. I've yet to inoculate the slants. They all look great. No sign of anything growing. The petri dishes are another story.
I streaked one plate from the cake off the bottom of a Brown Ale that I racked last week (WLP001). I let them sit for about a week. Images of the results are below.
There was a little moisture in the dish that I streaked, but otherwise things look fine. It looks a little rough perhaps but this was my first attempt at streaking.
The next dish was interesting because I found one colony growing. I hadn't streaked or inoculated this plate. I poured the wort into the plate after the agar and the dish came out of the pressure cooker (as opposed to putting the agar in the dish and then heating). How a yeast cell, and only a yeast cell, got there, I have no idea.
The day after pouring agar I broke the lid of the third petri dish. I put another lid on it, just to see what might happen after it was exposed to open, unfiltered air for about 20 minutes. My lab is in a room far away from any brewing or food handling area. I would consider it quite clean. Just goes to show that little bugs are everywhere. I have no clue what this nasty looking colony is. If anyone can identify it I'd like to know what it might be.
Again, the slants look fine. I'm going to inoculate them this weekend (close to an alcohol lamp). Also, I hope the images show up. This is my first post on HBT.