Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Maple Porter Re-Pitch?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
V1_VR_V2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple Porter Re-Pitch?

So, tried to come up with a recipe for a maple porter. Waited to add maple syrup until secondary. Fermentation stopped at 1.025. Since it wasn't fermenting any further, I kegged it and carbonated it. Good flavor, but almost a little too sweet to be really drinkable. Taking it off the tap, warming it up, bleeding the pressure, then re-pitching some yeast once the beer went flat. Any reason why that won't work? Never done this before, and wonder if having kegged and carbonated it already will pose any issues.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you do it, you can't just pitch some yeast in - they need to be active. You'll have to make a starter, and pitch it at its height of activity.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
V1_VR_V2
Recipes 

I realize that. I made a starter for this beer when I made it. Not sure why fermentation stalled out. Thinking I added the syrup too late, so the yeast weren't active enough to respond. Simply making sure that I'm not missing anything that would prevent the re-pitch from working.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Recipe. Maybe it's done.

Maybe it got cold and the yeast dropped and then you racked to secondary leaving most of the healthy yeast behind.

Take it off the tap, and into a fermenter, and place in a warm location. Add a few ozs of sugar (dissolved in a little boiling water), place on an airlock. No new yeast. If fermentation takes of in a couple of days, you have plenty of yeast and the beer is done.

If you have yeast, it will consume the simple sugars, but may be at it's limit for complex sugars.