Irish red ale with pecans????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christafer11

Reaction score
Ok so I have a Irish red that I will be brewing tomorrow 12/31 here is the base recipe
#6 light malt extract (lme)
#2 Amber dry Malt
#1 Crystal Malt 20L
#1 Crystal Malt 120L
#1 Cara Red
2 oz Golding Hops
Notingham Dry yest...
I have brewed this several times not adding anything else but today I was making a cheese cake and though hmmm some of these pecans might be good to add. I am also planning on adding #2 of either honey or brown sugar to bump it up some this usually comes in from 4.8-5.2abv who knows I may add both. Any input on the additions good or bad would be great :rockin:

Honey will boost your alcohol but add very little flavour; brown sugar might add a little flavour from the molasses content. Pecans sound interesting though I haven't a clue how it would turn out - would you toast them first?

B

Lazy Magnolia Brewery does a pecan brown ale and its great! They toast their pecans first and they say that the yeast clean up a good bit of the oil from the nut so no worries about poor head.

I made a pecan brown once that turned out decent. I used 1c of pecans that I toasted in a 300F oven for 10 minutes and mashed them. I'd probably use double that amount if I made it again, but for a red I'd use maybe 1 1/2 cups.

well what I did was use about 1/2 pound roasted them for about 10 min then put them in last 20 min of the boil....so well see

Latest posts

Back