Added water to Mash Do I need less for the Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I missed my temps so I added 3/4 gallons of water to reach the desired temps. (or close to it). Do I need to modify the amount of sparge water I was to use?

I am attempting Ed Worts Haus Ale (changed it around a little).

-I currently mashed in with 4 1/4 gallons of water instead of the 3 1/2 I had planned.
-I was planning on one batch sparge at 6 gallons at 168 degrees. Do I need to sparge with less water or keep it the same.

Thanks for any help!

Either use less sparge water or plan on boiling longer. There is nothing wrong with a 90+ minute boil.

The only thing about extending thye boil is that you need to decide to do that before you reach the end of your planned 60 minute boil!

If you know accurately the evaporation rate of your rig and want to extend your boil appropriately, that should work. Reducing your sparge water volume seems easier though.

Yeah I would stick with the 6 gallons to sparge and boil off to reach OG and/or volume.

I tend to gain 1 point per 10 minutes of boil. I take a pre-boil reading and base my boil time off of that rather than total volume but the math seems to work out that I end up hitting both.

Thanks, I'll extend the boil a little longer and will see how it turns out. Maybe I'll can the wort as a yeast starter, I wonder if the gravity of the wort matters?

I ended up with about 7.5 gallons of wort and had to to dump a gallon and half. I didn't have time to can as I'd hoped.

The gravity reading ended up being 1.040 into kettle and 1.048 coming out.

I think I boiled for about 70-75 minutes I was a littled distracted as I was brewing in about a foot of snow and I was busy thawing out the hoses.

Coming out of the boil kettle the color and taste (for what it's worth) was good, however, the color some 6 1/2 hours after pitching seems to have taken on a much darker hue. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.

Back