5 month in a keg and still unsure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfeucht

Reaction score
I had a dead guy clone I tried to do this last July and while it was in secondary I had temps jump to the 100s which was too much to keep my beer in safe fermentation temps and I ended up with bubble gum. To give the beer the benefit of the doubt I kegged it anyways and let it do its thing

5 months later I've decided it is time to either tap the keg or dump it, so I tapped this evening. I poured the first glass to what I thought was yeast, so I kept on dumping glasses until #5 when I've decided it wasn't going to end. Now I'm sitting here with a glass trying to decide what to do now. The beer smells of a belgian and has the look of a sour. The texture is almost grainy. The taste isn't offensive but certainly not pleasant. The SWMBO is refusing to take more than a little sip. I think the beer is about to go down the drain as there is no way I can finish it man alone :(

Mostly I'd like to learn from this. Since I don't have AC July is going to likely become a lager in the kegerator time or belgians for fall. I'm pretty sure I ended up with an infection, but what are your thoughts?

after 5 months, you have a decision to make: either dump it now and cut your losses, or be prepared to wait another year to try it again. i think that would be a waste. i'd dump it and try again. besides, it gives you an excuse to brew again :D

Life is too short to drink skank beer. Others may jeer, but I dump beer when it's not really tasty. Start another STAT! Brew a low gravity beer that will be ready soon, then brew a bigger one immediately after your carboy is free.

If you have bubble gum, you have an infection. Fermentation temps that are too high will make fusel alcohol, think paint thinner. It's harsh but you can (and we have) drink it. I brewed for many years without decent temp control. I wouldn't recommend it. There are many low cost options that will help you maintain the temp range you need. Luck - Dwain

Back