Tried my first batch tonight...carboy not full?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabwright

Reaction score
I did an extract kit. Followed directions exactly....started with 2 1/2 gallons to boil. Added 6.6 lb extract total. Put 2 gallons water in carboy before adding wort. Pitched yeast... My carboy is 5 gallon but only bout 3/4 full. My hydrometer read at 60 degrees was 1.100. I hv my stopper and lock in place. Now just a waiting game...does this all sound on target? It's a weizenbier. Thanks for everything!
Jill

if you're sure that reading is 1.100 original gravity, that's a HUGE weizenbier. there should be markings on the fermenter; make sure it's all the way to 5 gallons. you might need to add more boiled/cooled water

If your hydro reading was accurate at 1.100 I would add more boiled, cooled water. That seems awfully strong for that style of beer. I would think 1.060 would be a little more appropriate.

Well thats only 4 1/2 gallons of liquid.. You should have either boiled 3 or put 2 1/2 in the fermentor.. But I think you should be fine.. I'm just a noob myself.. Bottling my first batch tomorrow.. As far as activity goes, Mine was going crazy the next morning.. Good Luck :)

if you're sure that reading is 1.100 original gravity, that's a HUGE weizenbier. there should be markings on the fermenter; make sure it's all the way to 5 gallons. you might need to add more boiled/cooled water

Since her carboy is only 5 gallons, wouldnt she need to leave some headspace? So maybe 4 gallons is good.

Ok so I called the LHBS where I got my equipment. He said to transfer my carboy contents to my 6.5 gal bucket and add a couple gal of distilled water. I'll take a new reading and let ya know. I really wanted to see the activity in the glass but I guess it's a small price to pay for a decent brew. Now I have to siphon to carboy clean out bucket and siphon back to bucket on bottling day though... I know, poor me. ;). I'll get all this down sooner or later! Thanks for all advice. I'll be back I'm sure! Cheers!

Back